Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: How to start taking HRT  (Read 2082 times)

Kirstief22

• First Flush
How to start taking HRT
« on: July 19, 2021, 11:46:03 AM »

Hi everyone,

Ive just been prescribed utrogestan and Lenzetto. Which in my quick GP phone call I didn't think to ask how to take them as I thought the paperwork in the packets would explain. BUT it doesn't properly explain how to start them and if it matters where in my cycle i am (like the contraceptive pill does).

I know to take Lenzetto every day and the Utrogestan is to be taken for 12 days starting on day 15, but when periods are hit and miss what do i do. I asked the pharmacist who said to start taking lenzetto and after taking it for 15 days start the progesterone for the next 12. I wanted to check with everyone if thats how they did it? Or if anyone had any other advice. I just called the drs to see if i could chat to a dr and they said speak to the pharmacist (but i have to admit ive never felt the advice ive received has been great). Im 20 days since my last period, and im two days into lenzetto, should i continue with lenzetto for 15 more days before starting the progesterone or would you suggest taking the progesterone now for 12 days?? Sorry im just a little confused and dont want to make it all worse!!!

Thanks
K

Gilla999

Re: How to start taking HRT
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 02:04:52 PM »

Hiya - I am also on Lenzetto and Utrogestan, and started it about 4 months ago. Because I'm still having regular periods I was able to start it "in sync" with my natural cycle, eg the Lenzetto on day 5 of my cycle. Doing it this way meant that I avoided any of the symptoms that I seemed to have when I tried Estradot earlier when I started it mid cycle. The same goes for Utrogestan - in my experience it was much better for me to time it with my own cycle (I test for ovulation just before the day 14 mark and when it hits I start taking the Utro for 12 days).

Which is all well and good until you're not having regular periods anymore! How regular are your periods at the moment? Is there any way you could sync it up, or do you think that would mean you'd have to potentially waiting ages to start it all?

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 05:19:12 PM »

Hi kirstief22. I've had a quick look at the patient info leaflet online and it seems to say that lenzetto is for post menopausal women. Maybe there are two types? This is why there is no information as to when in your cycle you start it ....maybe.

I see Gilla is also not post meno so I think I must have been reading about the wrong product  :-\  ;D

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Kirstief22

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 05:33:26 PM »

Hiya - I am also on Lenzetto and Utrogestan, and started it about 4 months ago. Because I'm still having regular periods I was able to start it "in sync" with my natural cycle, eg the Lenzetto on day 5 of my cycle. Doing it this way meant that I avoided any of the symptoms that I seemed to have when I tried Estradot earlier when I started it mid cycle. The same goes for Utrogestan - in my experience it was much better for me to time it with my own cycle (I test for ovulation just before the day 14 mark and when it hits I start taking the Utro for 12 days).

Which is all well and good until you're not having regular periods anymore! How regular are your periods at the moment? Is there any way you could sync it up, or do you think that would mean you'd have to potentially waiting ages to start it all?
Thank you for responding. My periods were regular with the odd one being missed out until about 4 months ago and  then they were a bit here then two weeks later another bit, then 3 weeks later, and now i  feel like im missing  a month. so not predictable at all at the moment. I  wonder  if I should just start taking  the progesterone now as that means in 12 days ill start a period? is that right - which would fit (a bit i guess). And  i started taking the lenzetto already so will continue. I wish id been  given  some advice  from the dr, as the pharmacist was just matter of fact from what he had read.

Kirstief22

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 05:39:43 PM »

Hi kirstief22. I've had a quick look at the patient info leaflet online and it seems to say that lenzetto is for post menopausal women. Maybe there are two types? This is why there is no information as to when in your cycle you start it ....maybe.

I see Gilla is also not post meno so I think I must have been reading about the wrong product  :-\  ;D

Taz x  :welcomemm:
Hi Taz2, yes i read that it said it was just for post menopausal women, which i am not. Im 45 and have had symptoms for about 2 years. My dr did my bloods and my hormones  showed i was in peri menopause (as much as they can), but i asked for Lenzetto as i thought  a spray would be easier to deal with and she was happy to give it to me...
Ive already started lenzetto as this is the one i take daily so thought id get going (plus the pharmacist said start the lenzetto and  count that as day one). I am wondering as Its roughly the  time i should have a period (if they were regular distance apart) that maybe i  should just start the progesterone now so in 12 days i start a period. God  this is a  nightmare and should have been explained to me when my gp and  i chatted.
think i may call my drs again and ask for a call back tomorrow if i can get past the receptionist who said speak to a pharmacist today! Thanks for your help

Gilla999

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2021, 05:09:19 PM »

In theory I think all HRT is supposed to be for post meno women (??) - Lenzetto is exactly the same ingredient as all other forms of HRT, it's just a different delivery method.

Kirstie, as your periods are so irregular I would say it doesn't matter when you start the Lenzetto which you already have. In terms of the Utro - as you don't know where you are in your cycle you could take it on day 14 after you started the Lenzetto (and take it for 12 days). It is possible to also take Utro on a "long cycle" where you only take it every 6 weeks or 8 weeks for example. But I guess it's best to try firstly on a normal cycle of once a month for 12 days and see how you feel?

You can take Utro orally or use it (the same tablet) as a pessary vaginally. Some women aren't able to cope with the side effects (particularly the drowsiness) when taken orally and it's easier in this way vaginally, but it's trial and error to see what works for you.

I hope this helps - I also chose Lenzetto because I thought a spray would be easier and I think it's a great product. Dries really quickly and I've had good results with it.

Good luck, keep me posted! x

« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 05:12:48 PM by Gilla999 »

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2021, 06:08:58 PM »

In theory I think all HRT is supposed to be for post meno women (??) - Lenzetto is exactly the same ingredient as all other forms of HRT, it's just a different delivery method.

Continuous HRT is designed for women who are at least a year since their last natural period or, if they are already on HRT, when bleeds are stimulated by the withdrawal of the progesterone each month and not natural periods, are at least 53 years old. Sequi HRT is for women who are either still having periods or have not gone a whole year without one. It's in order to protect the endometrium from cancer. I don't know all of the scientific reasons though.

Taz x

Gilla999

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2021, 07:22:05 PM »

Yes for sure - but the only difference between a sequential and continuous HRT regime is the Progesterone part right? Nothing to do with the Estrogen ie. the the Lenzetto. Lenzetto is just the same as any other of the Estrogen component HRT and is taken every day, so no idea why they would have said on the leaflet that it's for "post meno".

If I'm totally wrong then I've been taking it completely wrongly for the last few months  :o

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2021, 07:35:12 PM »

It is very confusing as it says that it's for post menopausal women but when you read further it says that the withdrawal of the progesterone (issued separately by your doctor) will give you a withdrawal bleed whereas with conti HRT there is no withdrawal of progesterone. Also they refer to post menopausal as being six months without a period instead of the usual twelve months. I am confused!

Taz x  :D