Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Gene testing BRCA1&2  (Read 1211 times)

Jackiehugs

• First Flush
Gene testing BRCA1&2
« on: June 17, 2021, 10:26:37 AM »

Hello all 😊
I’ve been in denial about the menopause for a few years, and contacted my GP last week about beginning HRT.

However, my GP has referred me to a clinic for tests to identify whether I carry either of the genes BRCA1&2.

Would any of you kind people be willing to share any personal experiences of this please.

I’m not worried at all, just very curious to learn more about the pathway I now find myself on.

Thanks in advance 🤩
Jackie

Perinowpost

Re: Gene testing BRCA1&2
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2021, 10:46:07 AM »

Hi Jackiehugs

Has your GP done that because you have a history of breast cancer in your family? My only experience of it is one of my best friends who died of breast cancer. She was told she didn’t have the braca gene, so her daughter should be ok. Because she had BC though she wasn’t allowed HRT x

Jackiehugs

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2021, 12:08:57 PM »

Yes that’s the reason, it’s quite reassuring tbh. My mother had breast cancer, and so did my father’s sister, both treated successfully.
I’m wondering what happens afterwards, if I carry either or both genes, would that mean I cannot have HRT?
Jackie

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 12:23:55 PM »

This is an interesting conversation.  My mother eventually died of bc along with 2 of her sisters.  I had asked several years ago about getting tested for Brca and was told "I was not eligible for the test as I was considered very low risk".  I am now 70 and in excellent health but I still get a little antsy when I get a pain or two in the breast/chest area.  The only reason I was refused HRT was due to age and high bp but was never asked about breast cancer.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 02:58:20 PM »

What ages were your relatives?

R they still alive and well?

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2021, 07:56:47 PM »

Hi CLKD.  Oh they died many moons ago.  My one aunt was in her early 50's when dx'ed and died at 56.  My mom was dx'ed in her late 50's and died of a brain tumour at 78.  Other aunt dx'ed at 55 and died at 82.  Because it appears they were first generatoon of bc, more than likely it was enviromental.  War, the depression, etc. may have been a contributing factor at the time. 

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2021, 08:03:48 PM »

As well as living in smokey conditions very often with no thought for health.

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2021, 08:09:18 PM »

Exactly.  We still aren't much further ahead when it comes to women's health.  Surprisingly when I enquired about the HRT patch, they weren't at all concerned about family history of b.c. but very adamant against HRT due to blood pressure.  Confusing indeed (and it doesn't take much rhese days).🙃

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2021, 08:33:44 AM »

HRT can be delivered by patch ;-).

BP taken in the surgery can show all kinds of problems!  'white coat' syndrome.

Jackiehugs

• First Flush
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2021, 05:38:17 AM »

Thanks for the responses, it’s reassuring to know there’s others with similar experiences.

I guess gene testing is the first step on the pathway to HRT, I’m still waiting for an appointment date.
And do I understand correctly that blood pressure is another hurdle? What else can I expect at the GP surgery? I’m beginning to get a sense that HRT is still a way off for me, if it’s even possible!