Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Hi...I might have had Premature Ovarian Failure 10 years ago?  (Read 1267 times)

NeetaK

Hi everyone. I’ve recently had my first consultation on the NHS over the phone with Nick Panay’s team, the nurse suspects premature ovarian failure. I’m 44, she thinks it could have happened at age 34/44. I’ve had my bone dexa scan, awaiting my ultrasound on my ovaries. She wants to to have a blood test off HRT but I’m struggling to come off.
Been on HRT since I was 37 (went privately and my estradiol was around 240 back then, think I had normal FSH and LH). I’ve had an extremely traumatising experience with the NHS.
It all happened when I came off Dianette (the pill), I was on it for acne since I was 20. At 34 I started to get migraines in the pill free week and they took me off it, and i got really ill. My hair started to fall out (all hair on my body), I kept getting cystitis, (ended up diagnosed with Interstitial cystitis and vulvodynia with vaginal dryness at age 37, I was told that my FSH was normal then) , weight issues got worse, night sweats, my blood tests showed subclinical hypothyroidism (I’m on thyroid medication for it), loss of libido, a list that’s endless really.
My periods stopped a few years ago. I didn’t need utrogestan when I was put on Sandrena gel back when I was 37. Plus it causes unwanted side effects (oily skin etc). Later I had to start taking it to bring on a bleed (7 days worth). Now I have to take 14 days of it to bring on a bleed, but I don’t like the side effects. I’m confused as what this means. Does it mean menopause or not?
Also the GP did a blood test while I was on HRT last month;
LH <0.2 iu/L
FSH 0.4 iu/L 
Is it normal for the LH and FSH to be this low on HRT?
Oestradiol 457 pmol/L on 2 mg of Sandrena gel
Testosterone 0.8 nmol/L (0.00-3.1)

Vagifem did nothing to help my vaginal dryness. I’m on ovestin now which I think is better, but I’m still very dry.

Any help with all this is appreciated. X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hi...I might have had Premature Ovarian Failure 10 years ago?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 09:03:14 PM »

If I was on a regime which helped, I would be reluctant to stop, especially because if 1 goes back to a medication, it may not work. [this is true of many products not simply HRT].

As for vaginal atrophy: using 'ovestin' nightly 3/4 weeks until comfy might help, as well as putting a little around the outer labia. Some find using 'yes' or 'sylc' products externally helps.  I find KY Jelly or Savlon OK when necessary.

Do U keep a mood/food/symptom diary to chart progress?  Browse round, make notes ;-)

NeetaK

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2021, 09:24:44 PM »

I keep a symptom dairy.

I have to use ovestin every night!

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 07:45:12 AM »

Hopefully using every night gives some relief, do you slar around the outer area too?

NeetaK

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 07:13:26 PM »

I think it is helping. I want to use it externally too, but I run out if I do. They only give me 1 tube a month and it goes quickly.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2021, 09:00:15 AM »

'ovestin' - mine comes in 3s: sometimes, it depends on who does the prescription  ::).  Ask for extra ............

NeetaK

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2021, 02:24:38 AM »

I will. Which vaginal estrogen is the strongest?