Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Progesterone advice please!  (Read 1578 times)

Frannyh

• First Flush
Progesterone advice please!
« on: June 13, 2021, 01:43:18 PM »

Hi. I have been on cyclical progesterone (with oestrogen patches) for a year with regular monthly bleeds but wanted to try continuous as I'm fed up of having periods of 9 days long every month.  My doctor advised that I either take 100mg Utrogestan every 2 days vaginally or every day orally.  I tried the vaginal route twice but they didn't seem to dissolve very well so I switched to orally and on the 3rd day of taking them orally my period started again - a week after it had finished on the cyclical regime.  Does it take a while for bleeding to settle on continuous or does this mean that I'm not ready for continuous and should stay on cyclical?  It's so hard to know where you are in the menopause on cyclical HRT.  I'm 52 and before I started HRT I hadn't had a year without a period but they were few and far between so I was clearly peri but not sure where I am now.
Has anyone else experienced this?
Many thanks.

Susie B

Re: Progesterone advice please!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2024, 03:16:56 PM »

I'm having similar problems so am not an expert, but have you tried inserting high with an applicator? I bought some from amazon and it works better. I think you get a stronger dose vaginally but I doubt 100 every second day is enough. It took 200 vaginally to stop my bleeding a few weeks ago and I should say it has now started again.... dark brown and very abnnoying!

bombsh3ll

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2024, 05:52:08 PM »

It can take a while to settle after any change in hormone therapy and in my opinion is probably worth persisting with continuous because at 52 if they haven't completely stopped yet they soon will.

If vaginally doesn't work for you that's fine if you have no issues taking it orally.

I certainly wouldn't be buying special equipment to shove it up there - if you are that desperate to take it vaginally ask for cyclogest which is designed for that!

Lisasmith

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:09:45 PM »

I'm having similar problems so am not an expert, but have you tried inserting high with an applicator? I bought some from amazon and it works better. I think you get a stronger dose vaginally but I doubt 100 every second day is enough. It took 200 vaginally to stop my bleeding a few weeks ago and I should say it has now started again.... dark brown and very abnnoying!

Hi do you have a link please for the applicators?

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: Today at 12:52:44 PM »

You can expect bleeding for the first 3-6 months of any new conti regime but if you're not meno it's very likely you'll continue to bleed anyway. Hrt doesn't override your own system in the way bcp does. 52 doesn't necessarily mean you're meno, some don't hit meno till their early 60s. If you want to be bleed free the most effective option is a mirena.
 The utro dose is the same whichever way you take it, 100mg every other day vaginally is insufficient unless you have regular scans to check the lining isn't building up.