Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Is the amount of HRT needed weight dependent?  (Read 801 times)

Joesmum

Is the amount of HRT needed weight dependent?
« on: June 04, 2021, 07:03:37 PM »

At 50 I seemed very comfortable on a 50mcg Estrogen only patch. No symptoms.
As I’ve grown older. I’m now 57, I need a 75mcg Estrogen only patch. But I am also 2 stone heavier (sadly).
Is the weight linked to needing a higher dosage or is it not related?
Thanks

linz57

Re: Is the amount of HRT needed weight dependent?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2021, 07:09:04 PM »

I’m having the same experience at the moment and wondering whether my lockdown weight increase is why I’ve seen my symptoms start to rear their heads again. I’ve just upped my patch strength from 50 to 75 ( by adding an extra half Evorel Conti patch to my 50) so it will be interesting to see what happens.
Maybe our own estrogen levels have depleted further over time too so it’s difficult to know what’s what.

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2021, 08:03:26 PM »

I thought it was more to do with our own production diminishing but it's an interesting question so I hope someone knows the answer. A small amount of oestrogen is produced in the fat cells so it's possible increasing weight actually slows the decline.

Joesmum

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2021, 10:39:33 AM »

I had a surgical menopause in my early 40’s.
So for me at least I don’t think that it can be about a gradual decrease in ones own production of Estrogen.

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2021, 11:31:29 AM »

Hello ladies.

I also thought that fat cells produce a kind of Oestrogen and wondered if larger women actually needed less HRT to make up the shortfall.

It would be interesting to know if there have been any  studies on weight and menopausal symptoms. I am 5 foot 2 inches and eight stone but I would happily be fatter if it meant my meno problems would be reduced or my need for HRT could be lessened. Having said all that I understand that being overweight causes many other health problems including diabetes so as usual a happy medium is best. Well, that's the dream I guess!

Take care all.

K.

shrosphirelass

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2021, 05:37:13 PM »

I'm 59 and have been on HRT for 3 years. Recently Ive been getting hot flushes which are really debilitating, they make mee feel like I'm going to pass out so I'm guessing I could do with a bit more estrogen. I have lost weight since starting HRT gone from 9 stone 2 to 7 stone 7 so I obviously go against the theory.

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2021, 08:35:27 AM »

As sheila 99 said - our oestrogen production declines rapidly in the two to three years immediately post-menopause and also fat calls make oestrogen but I don't know if research has been done on this is relation to HRT ie how weight change affect menopause symptoms and correlating this with changes in oestrogen levels.

If you gain weight, especially as much as 2 stone then you may possibly be taking less exercise (? dont want to make assumptions here) which is known to impact menopause symptoms (negatively). Also being fatter means you will overheat more generally so perhaps this is a contributory factor?

You say "sadly" re gaining weight - do you know why this is or I was wondering if you have had thyroid function checked as this (underactive thyroid) can cause unintentional weight gain and is more common in middle-aged women?

As long as you are on a dose that controls your symptoms and you are otherwise well then all should be OK...

All the best

Hurdity x

Joesmum

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2021, 11:17:38 PM »

I am hypopituitary and replace a battery of hormones.
Wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy.
Menopause is just one of the battles.