Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Extra weight on hips/bum/upper thighs with increase in estradiol dose  (Read 1201 times)

Bumblebeer7

I’ve held my weight steady through pre-meno, perimeno and meno (largely through a vegetable-heavy diet), but since I increased my estradiol dose, I noticed weight gain from the hips to the upper thighs.  It is quite noticeable, and could not have been caused by anything else as I tend to stick to the same routine diet and exercise-wise.  Has this happened to anyone else please?  I am not particularly bothered by it, I just would like to understand the changes that are happening to my body. 

Gilla999

I have definitely gained weight from taking HRT - approx 1 stone or just under. For me it's definitely the estrogen that causes it. It also gives me chronic constipation- it feels like the estrogen slows down my metabolism xx

Postmeno3

I've checked on Dr. Newson and the NHS for you and both state that there's no evidence to suggest this to be the case, indeed quite the opposite? What I notice in the warmer weather is greater fluid retention which may feel or look like weight gain? Apparently, a few pounds can be gained just in stored fluid!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 07:30:13 AM by Postmeno3 »

Gilla999

There's no evidence much like with the Pill, but a lot of women report it. However a sizeable amount of women report losing it too! My sense is that it's all dependent on your own individual make up and what you're taking your estrogen levels to etc. It's absolutely definite that I personally gained a stone as soon as I went on the Pill (and then switched to HRT) but I think it's a very individual thing - a lot of women don't gain a thing! It also mimics (particularly with the chronic constipation it's given me) what used to happen for me during the last week of my cycle, so I guess I'm susceptible to rises in estrogen
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 06:07:15 AM by Gilla999 »