Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: VA - who can get it?  (Read 971 times)

KarineT

VA - who can get it?
« on: June 27, 2021, 07:06:26 PM »

Hi everyone,

Can you still get pelvic issues and VA if you've never had kids?

Thanks

Karine

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: VA - who can get it?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2021, 07:08:24 PM »

Yep.

Joaniepat

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 08:20:27 PM »

Certainly you can. VA is caused by low oestrogen alone, and whether one has had kids or not has no bearing on it.
JP x

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2021, 08:55:22 PM »

Yes. Are you suffering? It's best to get this sorted as soon as possible as it doesn't resolve without treatment.

Taz x

KarineT

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2021, 10:22:03 AM »

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I don't have any issues with this at the moment but I was wondering about it because it seems to be very  common.

And what about pekvic flloor issues?  Can women who never had kids have problems with this too?

Thanks

Karine

Aprilflower

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2021, 10:39:34 AM »

If it's any comfort, I am 8 years post meno, have had two children but have never had VA.

I would add that it's best not be worry too much about things you don't actually have.  Be aware, of course, so that you can deal with it if it happens.  The main thing is to enjoy your life.  :spin:
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 10:44:59 AM by Aprilflower »

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2021, 10:59:14 AM »

Great post Aprilflower.

Karine as long as you do your pelvic floor exercises you stand an excellent chance at keeping your pelvic floor healthy. All women need to do these just to keep the muscles strong - just as we do other exercises for the different muscles in our bodies. Well, I'm not too good at the other exercise part but I do try  ;D

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2021, 11:51:20 AM »

You seem worried about 'what ifs'.   You can self refer to a women's physiotherapist to get good advice regarding pelvic floor exercises.

I never had children, by choice - still have VA.  Due to a lack of oestrogen which is nowt to do with child bearing.

JoJo42

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2021, 01:02:07 PM »

I’m 52 and haven't had children and have got V.A. I’d never ever heard of V.A until I started having all the symptoms. I didn't have a clue what was happening to me at the time and thought I might be suffering from bladder infections. No one ever spoke about these things when I was younger. Menopause was never ever talked about and kept very hush-hush. Thankfully it is fairly stable now after increasing my dose of Vagifem and using the Yes products too.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2021, 01:39:00 PM »

Hi JoJo - even GPs don't know much about VA ......... it's not been spoken about much and I do worry about ladies in care situations World Wide who have no idea  :-\

JoJo42

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2021, 01:51:58 PM »

It’s terrible isn’t it. I’ve been thinking the same thing CLKD…there must be so many women suffering in silence or being treated for U.T.I’s and other infections when it’s really V.A.

I dread to think how things would be for me now if I hadn't started the vagifem. All the issues I had must have been V.A related as they all went away with treatment. I started on one vagifem twice a week that worked brilliantly at first, but then started to lose it’s power as time went on (although it was a fair while until that happened). I went for a review and the GP wanted me to take a swab and use steroid cream and said I could increase the frequency of vagifem. I increased it and the symptoms settled again quite quickly so I didn’t bother with the swab or the steroid cream. I think I might have come on here for advice about it at the time.

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2021, 02:01:17 PM »

KarineT...I was 68 when dx'ed with severe VA and never had kids.  Most of my lady friends have zero issues (yes I was the lucky 😤one) but several do have some form of incontinence.  Mine started like most....constant UTI's and painful urethra after urinating.  Don't worry to much about VA.  If it happens then there is treatment. 

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2021, 02:43:06 PM »

Currently mine is bothersome due to not eating enough vegetable 2 weeks ago.  Slow bowel had a knock on effect on the bladder so 'nurofen' required and upped my 'ovestin' to nightly.  Bowel certainly impacts on my VA.