Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Fibroids  (Read 987 times)

Dandelion

Fibroids
« on: June 11, 2021, 07:27:34 PM »

I posted on here before about abnormal vaginal bleeding, doctor knows, had one hysteroscopy in Jan 2019 and 3 scans because bleeds have continued. HRT adjustments have been made.

The good news is although they started off not that severe and increased in severity, together with clots, the severity has lessened and lessened.

Nonetheless, I keep my GP informed. In October I got scanned, all normal, and lady who scanned me said she was happy to scan in 6mths time if problem persisted.

Well, I got back onto my GP in April and she ordered a scan which I had on Saturday.
This lady seemed optimistic and said, should there be a problem, my GP would call on Monday, however as I never got a call, I assumed I got the all clear.

Anyway, fast forward to Wednesday when a call from the podiatry team was expected, any time that day, they could not give me a window of time, my GP rang and I asked her how she was :) she said I had a scan and whether my autism made me misinterpret my GP or whether they hadn't told me before, my GP said about me having fibroids.

It was the first I heard that I had them. I remember getting a bit paranoid about fibroids in 2018 before my hysteroscopy but forgot them after nothing showed up.

My GP said she will talk to the Gynaecologist who might want to see me. The GP reassured me about cancer and I wouldn't need a hysterectomy.

Then I got one of those emails where you book a consultant at one of the hospitals listed on the attached letter.

I am on 50mcg oestrogen as well as utro.

I forgot to tell the GP I eat a hell of a lot of soy being vegan, as this has photo oestrogen's in.
I also forgot to as the GP how big the fibroids are and if they will grow.
Should I have asked the GP this or will these growths just shrink?
Should I have told her I eat a lot of soy?
Why would the Gynaecologist want to see me, given that I am 54?

Thanks

jaypo

Re: Fibroids
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2021, 08:21:18 AM »

Hello dandelion and please PLEASE don't worry yourself over this,fibroids are so common, I myself had them but in my case because of the size of them and where they were I needed a hysterectomy (ovaries left) but fibroids are RARELY cancerous so keep calm, I've been veggie for 28 years now and eat a lot of soya too but I'm guessing your GP won't be concerned,fibroids can shrink or indeed grow,they sometimes can remove them but depending where they are,they might grow back again,I had a vaginal hysterectomy and it really was easy,up and about in a couple of days,so if that's the worst case scenario,you really don't need to fret x

shrosphirelass

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2021, 07:23:04 PM »

Ive had a lot of bleeding since changing to evorel conti and have had several scans. They have all showed a fibroid. The gynaecologist said she was not concerned about it all, and nothing needed to be done. I don't think it had anything to do with the bleeding.

applespider

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 05:27:24 PM »

I'll second the encouragement not to worry.   Fibroids tend to grow with oestrogen and stop/shrink after menopause.  From what I've seen in recent months as I've researched, there's no single reason why. It's not just weight, birth control, diet etc.  As jaypo says, they are surprisingly common and rarely cancerous.  The most common treatment is to do nothing until they become problematic.

They can cause some irregular bleeding depending on their location in the uterus - and sometimes they cause some cramps or pressure on other organs but, as you haven't mentioned anything, I assume they've been mostly asymptomatic. 

The referral is to a GYN simply because the fibroids are in your uterus. They should be able to answer your questions, gather more information from you on symptoms and your bleeds and determine whether there's any action that should be taken.  There are a variety of treatments so it doesn't automatically mean surgery.  Best of luck.

Dandelion

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2021, 01:16:55 PM »

Thanks, ladies for your replies.

I was reassured by my GP they are not cancerous, I'm just surprised that they have only come to light in the last scan, I had two scans and one hysteroscopy since early 2019 and none of them showed fibroids.

While the flushes have improved over the years and my oestrogen dose reduced twice, I still get night sweats, needing a fan, I can cope with these, I wonder if a lower dose patch is in order to ease this anxiety and to lessen the bleeds while I wait for my gynaecologist?

I have had bladder scans as I feel bladder discomfort and urinate frequently but they revealed nothing. I also have a sore vagina but don't fancy more oestrogen as that feeds fibroids.

What is bothering me is that I decided last week to ask my GP for 50mcg patches instead of 50mcg gel, for convenience and now I am back on patches, I wake up so anxious I dread getting out of bed, and the bleeding has got worse.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 01:19:36 PM by Dandelion »