Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Have I been prescribed too much oestrogen?  (Read 849 times)

PippaSM

Have I been prescribed too much oestrogen?
« on: June 10, 2021, 05:05:19 PM »

Hi everyone,
I was originally on 3 sachets of Sandrena a day,( equivalent to 6 pumps ) and am still having some symptoms (night sweats & joint pain).
My GP said my body probably wouldn't absorb more of the gel, but has given me the Evorel 50 patch (50mcg), to top up with.
I'm now taking the equivalent dose of 8 pumps of gel a day, which seems like quite a lot.
I'm only 41, so I know it's usual for younger women to have a higher dose, but is anyone else on this much (or equivalent)?
Thanks everyone.

pepperminty

Re: Have I been prescribed too much oestrogen?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2021, 06:19:52 AM »

Hi,

. I would have a good look at louise newson's website. Can you ask your GP as to why he has prescribed such a high dose?  I would also ask to be referred to a menopause clinic as some women can have problems with absorbtion. Some ladies can require a higher dose.

Are you using fake tan , moisturiser or shower cream gel ? as these can effect how it is absorbed?

Put some questions in the thread box and some more info may come up.

Peppermintyxx

PippaSM

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 07:43:58 AM »

Hi there,
My GP says that because I was still having two of the major symptoms, she wants to try a higher dose, but that just adding more gel might not work, and to try the patch too.
She’s generally been very clued up on menopause care, I was just a bit concerned that it seemed a lot.
I’ve already asked for a referral to talk about taking testosterone but it’s currently up to a 12 month wait, because of covid backlog.
I can’t seem to find anything specific relating to max dosage on Louise Newson’s site.
Hopefully this will work.
Thanks.

Dotty

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2021, 07:46:15 AM »

Hi I think Dr Newsons advice is that you need as much oestrogen to keep your symptoms away. X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2021, 07:47:26 AM »

Hi! put the names of the products into the search box on the Forum and see what pops up?

PippaSM

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2021, 07:49:49 AM »

Hi I think Dr Newsons advice is that you need as much oestrogen to keep your symptoms away. X

Classic Dr Newson!
Thank you. X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2021, 07:53:03 AM »

The thing is to ease amounts gradually, over several months.  It can take a while for the body to uptake a depletion of hormone levels.  Alterations won't happen overnight ;-)

What do you plan to do?

sheila99

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2021, 08:54:49 AM »

Perhaps ask for your levels to be tested. If you're not absorbing it well a different form may suit you better.