Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Bleeding scans and biopsy  (Read 788 times)

shrosphirelass

Bleeding scans and biopsy
« on: June 07, 2021, 10:18:42 AM »

I have been being monitored by the gynae dept because of ongoing bleeding issues since starting evorel conti over a year ago. One of the scans found a lining of 5mm so they were concerned but I was reluctamt to have  hysteroscopy with it so near the threshold and due to anxiety issues. Recent scans have shown no concerns so I have had a letter today to say they are discharging me. A week before my last scan, I had 3 days of floodings with large clots expelled. The letter said if I experience any future bleeding I should have a biopsy, what would this show that the scan would not.

I am hoping that the bleeding is my last fling before being fully menopausal as I have experienced increased symptoms recently, lots of hot flashes and feeling more anxious. Interstingly when I experience bleeding I also feel rubbish like pre menstrual type symptoms but the bleeding is more erratic than a regular period. I am 59 but when I went on HRT 3 years ago on evorel sequi I was still having regular periods (and I had no isues with bleeding and had a regular withdrawal bleed).

I don't know what to do for the best. I didn't speak to a doctor so they don't know about the recent bleeding episode. I guess I'll just hope for the best as the scan showed no abnormalities apart from a small fibroid which they weren't concerned with.

Machair

Re: Bleeding scans and biopsy
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2021, 11:18:02 AM »

Bless you what a stressful time you are having.

I can't advise you what to do - none of us can.

What I can say though is that you are not alone being in late menopause as I was almost 59.

I have had a series of scans over the last 2 years with different consultants as each found slightly different findings. I think this is normal as I was told that hysteroscopy is sometimes needed to really see what is going on. When I had the first hysteroscopy in 2019 the scan said my lining was 6mm but it was found to be atrophic and too thin to biopsy at the time of surgery.
This time I have had surgery as they had been monitoring what they thought was a polyp, but that has now been removed and I am waiting for the results but it wasn't a polyp but a possible fibroid.

I guess what I am saying is that the scan and the hysteroscopy don't always agree, but if your scan is showing nothing they are worried about your lining must be within the threshold and there can't be anything that concerns them.

My consultant told me that hysteroscopy findings are only valid for 4 to 6 months, so unexpected bleeding must be reported after clear scans or surgery especially after a few months has elapsed.

If it was me I would monitor the situation and if I had any further unexpected bleeding I would contact them. I know it is scary, I have been so stressed with it all but I would certainly do that.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2021, 12:25:09 PM »

A biopsy would be sent for histology to make sure that nothing is 'growing' that would be cause for concern.  Something a scan might not show though I suspect that 5mm is within normal limits.  MayB put 'scan' into the search box?

If still concerned I would ring for advice?  1 doesn't have to take the advice until necessary ;-).  PMT can be the pits, especially nausea and anxiety: what's your over all diet like, have you tried eating something small every 3 hours, 24/7?

Machair

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2021, 02:46:16 PM »

PMT was through the roof before I finished periods in my late fifties. Sometimes I was just so wound up I ended up in a lavender bath- the only thing that relieved it. When periods stopped so did all that but it reached new heights before the end.