Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Vagifem  (Read 948 times)

Chikabee

Vagifem
« on: June 06, 2021, 11:42:34 AM »

Hello - I have finally relented to using Vagifem as despite using the alternative lubricators over the counter, I have not been able to control burning sensations; internal and external, as well as repeat urinary tract infections, which tests later found not to be cystitis or bacterial.

I was told the dosage of oestrogen was really low, and would help with symptoms as well as Vaginal Atrophy, however, I have noticed in Week 3 of use that I am getting nights sweats which I have not experience for over 1.5 years. I am off HRT for over a year. The nights sweats affect my mood, and I have been really through a trying ordeal to get my mood under control, and worry that Vagifem will start that nightmare again.

Are there other alternatives to Vagifem? Will the sweats subside as I now use dose 2 times a week?

Does anyone know about the Laser treatment for Genitourinary Syndrome, as mentioned in this month's  (June 2021) Menopause Magazine? Any recommendations for private clinics or has NHS done trials for this?

Many thanks

Chikabee Xx

Joaniepat

Re: Vagifem
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2021, 11:52:19 AM »

If anyone told you that Vagifem would help with menopause symptoms other than GSM I'm afraid you were misled. It is a local treatment only and the dose of oestrogen is far too low to do anything else.
JP x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2021, 01:54:13 PM »

Lubricants are that: lubricants.  They don't replace any oestrogen lost around the vaginal area.  Do read the 'bladder issues' and 'vaginal atrophy' threads on the Forum.  Make notes ;-).  Use the 'vagifem' nightly for at 2/3 weeks then see how you go.  The idea is to keep the vaginal tissues plump by inserting every 3rd and 6th night, some find that they need it continually.  As well as mayB 'yes' or 'sylc' products for the outer labial area.

It should not affect any other menopause symptoms as it's not a large amount of active ingredient.  Do U keep a mood/food/symptom diary?

Chikabee

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 10:01:54 PM »

Hiya,

I have been to the Drs, and will be referred to a Uro-gynaecologist, apparently I may have the early signs of cystocoele/prolaspe? I was not able to ask about the sweats but will do at my next appointment.

@CKLD I do have a food diary of sorts but that was for gut issues and I've cut out things like too many spicy foods.

I am now concerned about flaky skin on my chest area, and the underside of my breasts seem thin, and mildly crepey. I have been noticing this for a couple of months, but was thinking the shower products were too harsh and have changed from Dove Pro Age, to Dove Mousse, then just bath oil, now using organic products from Planet Organic and Dermal cream. I know that Vagifem has a low dose of Oestrogen but are all these symptoms due to the lack of HRT or Oestrogen in my body?

@joaniepat, my menopause symptoms particularly night sweats, anxiety mood had all but gone, so when the sweats started again, I thought the Vagifem might have caused it due to sudden spike of Oestrogen.

Thanks

Chikabee

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2021, 06:30:20 AM »

Crepey skin is due to a drop in oestrogen levels, 'normal' for ageing both in men and women.

'Vagifem' is unlikely to be the causation.  Use it nightly until symptoms ease.

pepperminty

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2021, 06:41:19 AM »

Hi Chikabee,

this is a link to a pod cast on vaginal  issues in menopause. UTI's are a common due to the lack of estrogen. a years worth of vagifem is equivalent to 1 HRT tablet a year in doseage. Estrogen usually stops the night sweats . Could it be that the nights are getting a bit warmer and also stress can make us wake up more. Try joining the Face Book group Vaginal atrophy which has some very useful advice. It is a closed goup, so not available for everyone to see. Also asked to be referred to a women's health physio on the NHS as they can help with prolapses or look at the squeezy  App / website for a private women's health physio.

https://www.menopausedoctor.co.uk/menopause/s1e11-vaginal-dryness-dr-louise-newson-and-jane-lewis

Peppermintyxx

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2021, 08:25:52 PM »

Very often a urine sample is dipped at the surgery and un-necessary AB treatment is prescribed.  It will ease symptoms briefly but is over-use of therapy - lack of oestrogen may cause urine infection-type symptoms as VA mimics this really, really well. 

Some need 'vagifem' nightly.