Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Hysterectomy in three weeks. Any tips/advice?  (Read 2116 times)

Gnatty

Re: Hysterectomy in three weeks. Any tips/advice?
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2021, 04:33:07 PM »

It's difficult isn't it, you don't want the pain but I agree nausea can be worse. I could never cope with the gas and air when giving birth so ended up without anything.

inklebraids

• First Flush
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2021, 06:18:16 PM »

I had a Total abdominal hysterectomy on 13 May this year. It went very well and I had the spinal block, which was fine. However, I was nauseous for 24 hours afterwards. The nurses weren't sure whether it was a combination of trapped wind/constipation, or whether it was linked to the drugs they gave me after surgery. Apparently I had oxycodin which can cause nausea. In the past I have had oramorph and that always made me sick. The nurses advised me to avoid both if I have any more surgery (fingers crossed I won't need any).

I was in hospital for three nights - the first day after surgery (Friday) I was sick with nausea (retching and vomiting is extremely painful and to be avoided!) I tried to get out of bed but couldn't. On day 2 (Saturday) I was able to get out of bed in the morning and walk around and they took out the catheter (hooray). Realistically I would have been OK to go home on Saturday evening, but they didn't need my bed until Monday and so I stayed an extra night to take advantage of the hospital bed with it's electric motor, as it was very painful rolling over to sit up. I went home first thing on Sunday morning - 72 hours after they took me to theatre. If it wasn't for the 24 hours nausea it would have been a day earlier I think - the lady in the bed opposite me went home a day sooner and she had the same surgery.

I really struggled to sleep for around a week after the surgery, but I don't find it comfortable sleeping on my back, and that was the only option.

I am at the stage where I can now sleep on my side and can move around fairly easily, but obviously I'm not lifting anything heavy. It's definitely worth having a Grabby Stick and also a long shoehorn as that makes life easier. For the first 7-10 days it felt like someone had sliced me open and had a rummage inside. Now it feels like I was maybe kicked by a horse a week ago, apart from all the weird post-surgery sensations near the scar.

In terms of moving around, cooking etc, that has been fine. In fact for the first week it was more comfortable to stand than to sit.

I was very active pre-surgery, and so once I passed the two week mark I have been trying to do some walking - it's fine, doesn't pull at the scar and I think it's doing me some good. I'm up to about 2.5km in one go now now - I got my other half to drop me at the shop in the next village and walked home.

I am fine with a seatbelt as a passenger and so will try a short local drive tomorrow - the NHS advice says you can drive from 3 weeks post surgery provided you can do an emergency stop and the seatbelt is comfortable. DVLA don't need to know and my insurer seems fine too.

It feels like the recovery is going well. The main problem is boredom as I'm signed off work but can't really do much useful around the house or garden.

Good luck with your surgery!

Gnatty

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2021, 04:07:15 PM »

Thank you inklebraids, its good to hear your recovery is going well but sorry of course to hear about the nausea.

Its amazing you being able to do a 2.5 km walk. Could I ask whether that was on the flat? The fields at the back of my garden are a little hilly and I'm thinking an uphill walk wouldn't be such a good idea because you do use your tummy muscles going uphill!

How did the drive go today?
Pages: 1 2 [3]