Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Anxiety resolving quickly after starting HRT  (Read 939 times)

Anne G

Anxiety resolving quickly after starting HRT
« on: May 31, 2021, 05:19:52 PM »

After a horrible 20 months or so since my last period, I've finally made the connection between my really severe, completely irrational anxiety + brain fog, depression, etc and the menopause (thank you Davina and Louise Newson!).  I'd been on antidepressants and anti-anxiety meds for a year and they did very little to help.  Started HRT on Saturday morning and within 24 hours I felt so, so much better.   I'm delighted  :) but also curious - can that be right?  Would it work so quickly?  Has anyone else experienced such a rapid turnaround?

Maybe its part relief at finding a Doctor who would listen to me.  I had broached the subject of the menopause with two doctors previously who dismissed the idea that anxiety might be link to the menopause.  Apparently I was presenting as depressed so that's what they'd treat me for >:(

sheila99

Re: Anxiety resolving quickly after starting HRT
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 05:26:41 PM »

If that's your experience I'm pleased for you. My anxiety and insomnia took 3 months with very little improvement in the first month.

EllaAurora

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2021, 09:23:38 AM »

Hi Anne G,
welcome to the Forum and great to hear you are doing better and feeling an instant relief from HRT!

I agree that it may be at least partly because you finally feel like things are making sense, you are being heard and that action is being taken to relieve your symptoms! Probably for the pure HRT impact, I'd assume it will take a bit longer to kick in -at least that is my own experience, but of course we're all different.

In any case, try not to over-think and enjoy the good days! :)  and if some worse days come, don't let it drag you down as its also perfectly normal and part of the process.

Take care xx

Anne G

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2021, 11:14:44 AM »

Thank you EllaAurora,

YES i

Anne G

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2021, 11:23:17 AM »

Ooops sorry EllaAurora - that post didn't go as planned  ;D  Yes, I think you are right about the relief aspect of it.  I instantly felt calmer after my consultation.  I am basking in the feeling as its been so alien to me for so long.  My anxiety was stupidly high and completely irrational but nothing I could do to stop it. Last Autumn I felt suicidal for weeks and weeks.  I felt there was no point in anything and no joy to be found anywhere.  To have that lift is amazing  :) :) :)  I think the biggest relief is to know there is an explanation for it and something that can be done to help, rather than thinking I was inherently, genetically unable to cope with life in the way other people could.  Phew!!!