Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Worrying again -brown/pink discharge  (Read 1651 times)

SaraC2773

Worrying again -brown/pink discharge
« on: May 26, 2021, 06:32:08 AM »

Hi,

I’m back again worrying myself silly!

I have HA and this whole hormone rollercoaster, really doesn’t help. I constantly think I have some life threatening illness.

So I previously posted about my skipping periods and going 11 months without a bleed, apart from 2 days of very light spotting.

I had a 7 day bleed in Feb. I think it was an anovulatory cycles as I had the copious discharge as if body was trying to ovulate. It then suddenly stopped and I started bleeding the next day,

Anyway since then I have had 2 occasions of very light pink discharge upon wiping which coupled with other symptoms, pointed to VA.

I started Vagifem 2 weeks ago and finished my daily dosing on Sunday. I now move to twice a week.

However, I haven’t noticed much improvement but I’ve felt quite crampy over the last couple of weeks and yesterday I had a fair bit of thick, pink/brown discharge.

I instantly panicked and got on the phone to the Dr. A nurse called back and said. It could be the vagifem, or it could just be part of the hormones but she will speak to my Gp and call me back as she could tell I was worrying and it might be worth having a scan.

I’m honestly petrified , mainly of Ovarian cancer.

My Mum thinks it’s just hormones and said at one point she had the type of discharge I’m describing daily for 6 months and that was hormones.

I think I’d be less worried if I hadn’t gone 11 months with only a show in September. As it now seems this is getting more regular.

Does this sound fairly common for peri?

I’m in such a state and now dreading that I might be referred and what they will find. 😭

Floo36

Re: Worrying again -brown/pink discharge
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2021, 07:50:26 AM »

Yes lots of funny discharge then nothing then fresh blood, clots, peri menopause is the pits but for me the bleeding and discharge is a minor thing compared to the other horrific symptoms.  If you are worried though best to get it check out if only to put your mind at rest. 

SaraC2773

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 10:12:30 AM »

Thank you Floo,

I know what you mean about other symptoms. I honestly feel like I’m losing my marbles.

Yesterday I sat at work and couldn’t remember how to get into my emails. I do it everyday but literally sat there staring into space trying to remember.

Also the flushes, the aches and pains, vertigo, headaches.

The list is never ending isn’t it?

Think I’d got so used to the idea my periods were nearly done, all this has thrown me a bit  :-\

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2021, 08:17:54 AM »

Hi SaraC. It's so easy to get ourselves into a state over these changes in our bodies isn't it but your symptoms do sound typical of peri. It's because the hormones fluctuate which tells the body to begin to shed the womb lining and then the levels change again so the signal goes out to stop shedding (simply put!) I had nine months without any bleeding then a small loss followed by another eight months without and then some spotting and discharge at times.  FSH was high and GP said I'd never have another period but I then went on to have a few more with spotting between which were a few months apart each time before then settling back into fairly regular ones. I was 53 by then and started HRT as hot flushes were becoming unbearable along with brain fog and aches and pains. That sorted everything for me and I got me back.

As for the ovarian cancer worry have you got any symptoms for that? Vaginal bleeding is not one of them.

Taz x  :hug:

SaraC2773

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2021, 09:05:01 AM »

Thank you so much Taz

I agree it is so easy to worry,  it just feels that everyday brings different symptoms!

I am seriously considering HRT.  I haven't had any discharge since last night and I'm starting to think maybe it was a mini period.  The fact it started three months to the day after the last bleed does seem a bit strange and I had one day where it looked like it might progress into something more and then tailed off again.

The hot flushes have also subsided over the last few months which is odd as prior to that they were constant throughout the months I wasn't bleeding.

As you say it does all point to the joys of fluctuating hormones!

I think OC has always been one of my fears but no,  fortunately none of the classic signs!  Well apart from the frequent peeing but that's certainly not a new thing, it's been going on for years and I was diagnosed with an irritable bladder years ago.  Having said that since starting the vagifem the peeing has not been quite so bad so it may actually have been  worsened by the VA.

Really appreciate the reply and it certainly helps to know that others are going through this and have come out the other side.

My sister-in law has just started HRT and is on patches, she said she couldn't cope any longer so she's going to keep me updated on how it's helping and then I think I might give it a go.

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2021, 11:20:08 AM »

The only thing you can expect in peri is that everything will go haywire, all the symptoms you've had can be expected but if you have pmt type symptoms there's usually no need to worry. Do consider hrt though, it helps to think of it as replacing the hormones you should be producing but aren't (big design flaw  >:() rather than as medicine. And quality of life is important.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2021, 11:44:39 AM »

All through my menstruating years I would have a heavy bleed with intense pain.  The bleed would ease after 5 days and often continue for 10.  Then a 10 day break B4 it started, I dreaded periods.  Once the bleed stopped each month, after 2 days I would have a brown stain for 24 hours.  Normal for me, it never crossed my mind that it might be something serious.  Also, in those 2 days I would get intense itching high up, too high to even scratch!  So was probably dryness. 

How much does it bother you?

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2021, 01:33:54 PM »

The hot flushes have also subsided over the last few months which is odd as prior to that they were constant throughout the months I wasn't bleeding

I found that when I was gearing up for a period my hot flushes/sweats which were every twenty minutes day and night suddenly stopped. I'd think that I was through that part of the meno only for them to start up again once a period had finished.

Taz x

SaraC2773

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2021, 01:50:48 PM »

Honestly ladies it's an absolute joy this menopause malarky isn't it!

I absolutely love this site though.  It is such a relief to be able to come somewhere and have people relay their own tales which is often reassurance enough that it is all part and parcel of this wonderful transition.

CKLD your periods sound very similar to what my Mum went through.  She used to sometimes bleed 3 weeks out of 4 and then on one occasion spotted everyday for 6 months.  She actually laughs when I tell her my stories of a few days spotting here and there as to her that would have been a godsend!

Thanks again ladies,  today so far so good,  no spotting at all and I've even been for a long walk and a gym so I think i'll put it down to a very light period.

At least now I'm logging all these in my phone so I can keep track on things.  I'm also logging flushes and generally how I'm feeling.

I thought at least that way I can speak to the GP and explain the symptoms I'm having.  I know some can be a bit reluctant on the HRT front so at least I'll have ammunition! ;D

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2021, 02:35:34 PM »

.......... ammunition - don't throw anything expensive  ;D

I eventually released - realised even - that 'it was normal for me'  ::).  I never want period-type pains again  :'(
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 05:25:46 PM by CLKD »

SaraC2773

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2021, 02:47:24 PM »

Sounds awful CKLD.  I used to have very heavy periods when I was young and had to go on the pill to counteract the pain.

Once I had my Son,  I couldn't tolerate the pill or the mirena so had Transexmic Acid but then they suddenly started to get lighter and lighter and further and further apart so it was much more manageable.

Having said that,  still get the cramps when they do happen.

You must be so glad you are out the other side!

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2021, 05:26:29 PM »

Oh I am.  It's lucky too that I haven't had particularly on-going peri symptoms other than itchy skin and VA which is under control.