Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Advice re long bleed on oestrogel/utrogestan  (Read 960 times)

Teacup23

• First Flush
Advice re long bleed on oestrogel/utrogestan
« on: May 28, 2021, 10:15:01 AM »

Hoping someone can help - I'm on my 4th month of estrogel and utrogestan. I was told by GP 2 pumps per day of gel increasing to 3 or 4 if needed after one month and 100mg Utrogestan for 25 days of 28 cycle as this leads to lightest bleed. I'm 51 and perimenopausal and having irregular periods still (usually light)

In first month no bleed after stopping utrogestan and no real relief of symptoms so increased pumps to 3 per day
In second month (3 pumps now) - 5 day bleed in the middle of the month and then a 7 day bleed a couple of days after stopping utrogestan (presumed I was adjusting to the hormones and overdue a bleed hence two periods)
In third month - no bleed mid month (yay) but then a very long and quite heavy bleed a couple of days after stopping utrogestan - I'm now well into the fourth month and still bleeding fourteen days since I started! And it's moderately heavy (not spotting)

I'm guessing my balance of oestrogen to progesterone is all wrong - I've tried reducing back to 2 pumps but it's made no difference. I've read Dr Newson suggesting to increase utrogestan to 200mg a day but not sure this is ok without talking to my GP who is taking ages to get back to me! REALLY want this withdrawal bleed to stop as I'm away this week but unsure what to do? Confident this is nothing sinister as I've just had a clear smear test and this seems to be clearly linked to me mucking about my hormones. Other than this the HRT has been great and I'm feeling so much better and really don't want to stop!

Anyone any advice?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Advice re long bleed on oestrogel/utrogestan
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2021, 11:39:15 AM »

Hormones.   Which symptom do you want to ease first?  Has this regime helped at all?

It can take 3-4 months for the body to 'accept' any alterations - did U require an increase after 4 weeks? 

You could try putting both medications into the search box on the Forum - separately - 2 C if any threads pop up?  Make notes.

:welcomemm:

Teacup23

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2021, 11:50:31 AM »

Thanks for the advice  :)

New to the forum and didn't realise how much info there is! There is a whole long thread on this combination of HRT so I will trawl through it notebook in hand!

My GP is now calling me later but I find it's good to have ideas of what I want to happen beforehand

Thanks again

Floo36

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2021, 12:12:09 PM »

It may not be the hrt but your own cycle as it can get more or less frequent, heavier or lighter in peri and more so towards menopause. I’m going through the same and know it’s my own cycle. 

Dotty

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2021, 01:54:48 PM »

Hi if you are peri menopausal then you would be better taking the Utrogestan for 12 days of every month (200mg). The way you have been advised to take it is for ladies who are post menopause....those who haven’t had. A period for 12 months. X

Teacup23

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2021, 10:54:01 AM »

I just want to say thanks for this amazing forum. After hours of reading and checking articles I’ve changed my utrogestran regime and within 12 hours my bleeding is stopping. Why is my GP so clueless? I had to fight to get medicated and I now see the dosage advice they gave me wasn’t right for my circumstances. Ah well I’m more informed than I was and feel equipped to take more control moving forward

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2021, 11:12:52 AM »

Welcome to the wonderful world of the ignorant gp, sadly all too common. I was undiagnosed for 2 years because I had many symptoms but not hot flushes and also put on a conti regime when I was peri. Any questions just ask, there's more expertise on this forum than with many gps.