Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Alcohol  (Read 2236 times)

Mrs Dawes 09

• First Flush
Alcohol
« on: May 26, 2021, 07:32:04 PM »

Hi all,

Another of my worries that I am looking for guidance on. I tend to drink most nights....usually 2 GTs but recently I've made an effort to have 2 consecutive days off.

Does anyone else do this or is it just me?
Xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Alcohol
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2021, 07:49:05 PM »

How do you feel with alcohol?  Some ladies find that hormonal upheaval alters sense of taste and tolerance  ::).

Do U drink alone?  Is it with a meal?  What's the biggest worry 4 U?

How do U feel if you have a break, i.e. mayB cutting it to a Sat. and Wed. evening? 

Mrs Dawes 09

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 09:09:02 PM »

I feel fine drinking. I drink whilst watching TV in the evening. I am OK on the no drink nights.....I just prefer the nights I do drink.....

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2021, 06:36:19 AM »

Don't worry too much unless you feel you have a problem.  Do U vary drink nights, or is it weekend treats?  We have threads on TV too  ;)  ::)

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2021, 09:51:43 AM »

I have a glass of wine in the evening - sometimes two at the weekend but I've never really liked more than that. Hate being out of control.. now there's a thing  ;D

Of course one medium glass (175ml) seven nights a week puts me right at the very top of the recommended safe limit. My main concern with alcohol is the link with breast cancer especially as I am also on HRT.

Taz x

jaypo

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2021, 10:38:45 AM »

Unless you feel you have a problem, I wouldn't worry but like Taz, I can't really take more than two glasses of wine at a time these days, I look forward to them at the weekend, I don't really drink through the week,drink lot's of water too,flush through your kidneys x

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2021, 10:42:29 AM »

Always good to stick to the government guidelines I think. We're at an age when we don't get away with mistreating our bodies the same way we could when we were young. I can't tolerate alcohol the way I used to so now I rarely drink except I do like a cointreau in my evening coffee. I'm the same, I can do without it but I prefer to have it but I agree a couple of days break is good.

groundhog

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2021, 11:53:32 AM »

Hi Mrs. Dawes,

I feel life is too short to stress over everything ( bright one talking , expert stress-head here ).  I think the trouble with house portions of shorts especially is it’s very easily to underestimate how much you are having - is 2 G&T actually 3 or 4 ?
I generally have a glass of wine every night and I look forward to it,  I rarely drink more as I get mega headache and if we run out for example I don’t have to have it, il drink water or squash. 

On saying that it’s obviously bothering you and if you are able to have 2 alcohol free days then go for it.
Do you live alone ?  I find I’m very influenced by my husband as he will drink wine every night and not give a toss ! Plus he is never ill no matter how much he drinks 🙄 annoying.

Mrs Dawes 09

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2021, 12:06:06 PM »

Thanks for the lovely comments - it is helpful. I live with my hubby and 3 kids but hubby can take or leave booze!

I do look forward to it so ideally wouldn't enjoy quitting but I think the 2 days off will do me good xxx

littleminnie

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2021, 03:06:02 PM »

Hi all,

Another of my worries that I am looking for guidance on. I tend to drink most nights....usually 2 GTs but recently I've made an effort to have 2 consecutive days off.

Does anyone else do this or is it just me?
Xx

If you have 2 nights off you are drinking 10 units a week.  Well under the guidelines.  I wouldn’t worry.   

Cassie

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2021, 03:34:58 PM »

How much is one unit and what is the recommended guidelines  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2021, 08:18:38 PM »

Have a lookC at the Government guidelines or AA may have advice?

I gave up alcohol - many++ years ago I had half a glass of red wine, got up to change the channels on the TV which was in 1 corner, ended up in the other corner !  :o  ;D ..... DH will browse the alcohol aisles in the supermarket, I'd rather be in the magazine or bubble bath areas  ;)

Don't pick evenings or it backs U into a corner, simply decide 2night it will be a Horlicks  :-X rather than ..........

Taz2

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2021, 11:21:07 PM »

How much is one unit and what is the recommended guidelines  :-\

A 175ml (medium) glass of wine is around 2 units. The maximum weekly allowance is 14 units.

Taz x