Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Piece about menopause care worth reading  (Read 797 times)

Robin

Piece about menopause care worth reading
« on: May 25, 2021, 06:28:09 AM »

There’s an excellent piece about menopause care by Kate Muir  the journalist who wrote and produced the menopause documentary in the Mail online today which can also be accessed via My Menopause Doctors Twitter feed. It’s worth a read.

More than 5000 doctors/ nurses have signed up for the free training so far!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 06:35:21 AM by Robin »

Postmeno3

Re: Piece about menopause care worth reading
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2021, 07:20:05 AM »

Interesting piece. How I just WISH postmenopause gets more attention, though. It's as if everything stops then when a whole lot just STARTS! Thanks for the heads up!

Robin

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2021, 07:22:47 AM »

Yes postmeno3 hopefully more of that will follow with better awareness

Postmeno3

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2021, 07:23:39 AM »

Thanks, yes! 🤞

Postmeno3

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 07:30:11 AM »

There's an article in today's "i" as well. "My Menopause Manifesto" by Dr. Jennifer Gunter.

Robin

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2021, 08:12:06 AM »

That’s interesting, I agree with some of it but not all.

She says menopause isn’t an illness which true but without appropriate treatment it often leads to illness or unnecessary investigations and treatments with side effects and lasting damage.

She also says we shouldn’t put everything down to menopause but in my case I only knew of the 3 or 4 most well known symptoms. Began reading about it and picked up a few more. Was wrongly diagnosed and given very many strong medications with lots of side effects. It wasn't until I hit the right dose of HRT that the vast array of symptoms I and my doctors had put down to illness and ageing disappeared and it became clear it was all menopause related.

Clearly not every symptom in every women will be related to menopause but by emphasising it the way she does when many women and their doctors don’t realise the true impact in terms of symptoms caused by low or fluctuating hormones I feel she invites dismissal from those who refuse to admit there’s a problem with menopause care and perpetuates the ‘hysterical women’ myth.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 08:13:55 AM by Robin »

Postmeno3

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2021, 08:35:44 AM »

I agree. Some of the "myths" are far from it! Lots to say about my own journey with "M.E" which I now believe is not. Certainly not classically, virally-triggerred, but hormonally.....yes, yes, YES! I do wonder if some of these "myths" hadn't been applied to me, if I wouldn't have wasted 17 years of my life approaching things the wrong way entirely and without any useful medical input. Have all I been needing is hormones????? Oh dear .....

Robin

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2021, 09:13:46 AM »

Oh postmeno3 I really feel for you. Have you tried HRT?

I was definitely badly misdiagnosed and believe many others have been too. I found what Jen Gunter wrote interesting but disappointing in the main. Kate Muirs article reflects my personal experience 100% and gives a true reflection of the state of menopause care.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2021, 12:05:28 PM »

Many journalists cherry pick in order to appear to be on the ball when issues are raised.  Jumping on the back of the recent TV programme mayB?

Postmeno3

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2021, 03:30:35 PM »

Robin....on HRT as of today!!!! 🥳