Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Buying hrt online  (Read 2131 times)

Suza

Buying hrt online
« on: May 23, 2021, 09:04:19 AM »

After my previous post about my gp's reluctance to prescribe hrt after being made to come off it, I've now started an e consultation with her, as it's practically impossible to get appointments at the minute, now awaiting a phone appointment.
Meanwhile I've been looking online at purchasing my hrt if doc says no to restarting
Came across a company called the independent pharmacy selling evorel 25 patches for under £20 a pack, seems too good to be true, no prescription needed, I wondered if there was a catch, and has anyone else used this or other online companies

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Buying hrt online
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2021, 11:59:59 AM »

The 'catch' is that there may be more fillers than active ingredient?  Medications prescribed by the NHS/Private UK Consultants, have been tested.  Some over the counter/internet drugs - of all types - have been found to contain flour, sawdust - at the very least. 

If one takes NICE recommended medication 1 is able to source help if there is a reaction.  It may take longer if someone reacts to get them stable due to not knowing what is in the overthecounter drug. 

Ask immediately for a referral to a menopause clinic.  Even if the GP seems amiable.  You have a right to the correct information and support.

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2021, 12:35:01 PM »

No experience but as long as it is evorel (or any other known brand) I can't see there'd be a problem. I thought they couldn't sell oestrogen without a prescription but maybe it's because it's a low dose. Just had a look at your other post. Just to stick my oar in I think you should fight this decision. The NICE guidelines used to say you should stop at 60 but now there's no age limit. They also say that you you should be offered hrt for meno symptoms not antidepressants. Many of the scare stories are from the old horse urine oral treatments. Transdermal offers little increased risk if you're otherwise healthy. You could start by reporting your inappropriate treatment to the practice manager. They may have a gp with more up to date knowledge who will prescribe it. You are entitled to ask for a referral to a menopause clinic if you get no joy from your gp, I'm sure they will prescribe it for you. Or if all else fails change GP. Up to you of course but quality of life is important. You shouldn't have to suffer unnecessarily just because you have an ignorant gp.

Perinowpost

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2021, 12:41:00 PM »

I’m pretty sure my friend bought from them when her GP wouldn’t increase her patch dose (she had a mirena so there really shouldn’t have been a problem).

Having said that you should be able to access appropriate support through your GP so you shouldn’t have to pay for the patches. As already advised if she says no request a referral to a meno clinic, if she refuses that put it in writing to the practice manager.

Btw £20 isn’t cheap, they’re much cheaper here in Spain.

Wishing you luck x

Fusseh

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2021, 12:56:49 PM »

During the shortages last year, I purchased Evorel Sequi from the Independent Pharmacy with a prescription. It was the same brand and packaging as through the nhs.

I haven't tried to purchase without a prescription, but I can't think of a reason why it would be any different.

If you go through with it, let us know how you get on as I may be in the same position soon.

Suza

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2021, 01:09:21 PM »

Thanks for all your replies
Hopefully I  won't have to go down that road🤞🤞
I'll keep you updated on my progress

Mary G

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2021, 01:14:27 PM »

I would go ahead and buy the patches immediately.   

Don't wait around for a hopeless GP who doesn't know what she's talking about.  Make sure you tell her that you will buy the patches yourself if she refuses to prescribe them.

Keep pushing to get your HRT on the NHS but if all else fails, you have a solution.

KarineT

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2021, 01:18:10 PM »

Shella 99, why would GPs prescribe ADs instead of HRT?  ADs are for people who are depressed, not for women who are going through the menopause.  Are they prescribing these because they are cheaper or because the can't be bothered?  Do they think there are less or no side-effects with ADs?  For e.g., do they associate hot flushes with depression?  Low mood and anxiety are some of the  meno symptoms but I don't think depression is.  ADs should only be prescribed if one has depression only but not if the symptoms are meno-related.

Katejo

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2021, 01:29:47 PM »

After my previous post about my gp's reluctance to prescribe hrt after being made to come off it, I've now started an e consultation with her, as it's practically impossible to get appointments at the minute, now awaiting a phone appointment.
Meanwhile I've been looking online at purchasing my hrt if doc says no to restarting
Came across a company called the independent pharmacy selling evorel 25 patches for under £20 a pack, seems too good to be true, no prescription needed, I wondered if there was a catch, and has anyone else used this or other online companies
  I used this pharmacy to order my Evorel Conti when there was a supply problem but I had to post my GP prescription to them. The product I received was the genuine thing. If you order without a prescription,  they will ask you medical questions to check that you are suitable.

Perinowpost

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2021, 01:42:00 PM »

My friend lied on the medical questions and got them that way. She’s going to present the evidence to her GP at her next appointment to try to get what she needs x

Mary G

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2021, 01:42:36 PM »

Btw £20 isn’t cheap, they’re much cheaper here in Spain.

Wishing you luck x

Perinowpost, that's interesting.   I buy Estradot in Spain for friends and all doses seem to cost about €20.00.  Somebody wanted me to buy Evopad (Evorel in the UK?) but they were not available so I ordered Estradot instead.   

Would you mind telling us which patches you buy in Spain and the price?   

Thanks.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2021, 02:05:33 PM »

Karine.  It depends on what the patient presents in Surgery complaining of.  If she says she is low, anxious, depressed the GP will prescribe ADs.  Some don't associate peri-menopause unless 1 is not having periods but getting hot flushes  >:(.  A really common problem across the UK. Sadly  :'(

suzysunday

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2021, 02:31:25 PM »

I bought trimethoprim online a couple of years ago, antibiotic for cystisis.  I wanted it for emergency supply and my GP refused to prescribe for "in case".   My only issue with it was the use by date wasn't too far ahead.   I know about over prescribing antibiotics but I was desperate at the time. 

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2021, 02:48:55 PM »

Was it a urine infection suzysunday? 

Perinowpost

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2021, 03:10:18 PM »

MaryG I came to Spain with 6 months supply when I moved here last December so haven’t purchased any recently. The year before that I bought it on holiday for 4 euros a box. I’ll get back to you once I’ve bought some and update you, it’s evorel btw x
Pages: [1] 2