Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Anxiety and peri  (Read 1061 times)

lulah74

• First Flush
Anxiety and peri
« on: May 27, 2021, 03:30:26 PM »

Hi Everyone,

I’m new to the forum so be gentle!

I wanted to ask what people’s experiences of anxiety and peri menopause are? There’s a lot of threads re anxiety so I’m guessing it’s  a problem for a lot of people.

I’m 46 and may be peri-menopausal. Symptoms Ive had are hot flashes, aching fingers, hands, wrists, itchy skin, my periods are still regular but so so heavy (my periods have always been quite light up until about 5 years ago). But I’ve also been struggling with terrible anxiety.

I am trying to understand the connection between hormones and anxiety. During my life I’ve had 3 periods of significant anxiety; puberty, post-partum and now. Is this coincidence?

I tried speaking to an advanced practitioner a few months ago but she didn’t think there was any connection. Infact she told me there was no connection between menopause and anxiety!

I’ll be making an appt with the doctor tomorrow as the anxiety is almost unbearable and I’m already on medication for it. She may suggest HRT but she may not. From reading some of the threads hrt has worsened anxiety for some people so I’d be nervous about doing it!

I’m a bit confused, so if anyone else has had a similar experience I could use any advice you may have!

Thank you!

EllaAurora

Re: Anxiety and peri
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2021, 06:14:09 PM »

Hi Lulah74,
Welcome to the forum! I joined yesterday so feel like a regular already ;)

Sounds strange that the practitioner you visited said anxiety and menopause wouldn't be connected. All the expert sources I know, as well as the real life experiences in this forum (try put anxiety in the search box above and you'll see a LOT of us suffering from the same), say that there is a connection.

This is also my own experience. Anxiety came absolutely from nowhere this Spring, along with the worsening of other symptoms, and seems to be related to the fluctuating hormone levels. Based on the experiences from other women, it seems also to be the most difficult symptom to get rid of, needing longer time to clear. But there are many positive experiences from the ladies getting to the other side of it with the support of HRT, so I am hopeful there must be a balance somewhere after this trial and error.

Hopefully your doctor appointment goes well tomorrow! take care xx

Denise Didi

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2021, 06:41:42 PM »

Hey Lula I do wonder who these strange people are  :-\ :o who say anxiety is not part of the menopause... What is she advanced in.. Mechanics!  Fortunately you have now come to the right place and hopefully GP will be better than the advanced mechanic lol. Sympathise with you greatly heavy bleeds are so upsetting along wirh everything else. There are lots of options out there so do try them. We are all different so jump back in when you have seen your gp. Good luck and welcome to menopausal madness

Anne G

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2021, 08:54:02 PM »

Hi lulah74,   

I've just joined too.  I am now out of peri and into menopause proper.  I've only just discovered the link to anxiety and meno and I wish I'd known about it ten years ago!  I had my first bout of anxiety/depression at 41 - my period stopped for a few months and I thought it was because i was depressed that my body had stopped cycling, not the other way around.  I have been on and  off antidepressants for ten years now - 3 further bouts of extreme anxiety and depression all coinciding with a break in my periods.  The antidepressants never really worked in the timescale they were supposed to, but I eventually got better each time.  Having had a consultation earlier today with a private menopause expert (because both my GP and a mental health consultant at my local hospital thought the menopause had nothing to do with my anxiety issues and just offered me new and different antidepressants) I now realise my episodes were almost certainly to do with peri hormone changes, and I got better when my periods resumed.  That was until they stopped altogether in Sept '19 and I have been in a bad, sometimes extremely dark place, since.  My anxiety has at times been completely through the roof.

I'm starting on HRT as soon as my prescription comes through.  Please find a doc who will take the menopause seriously.  I feel so relieved that I finally have.  xx

lulah74

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2021, 08:56:12 PM »

Thanks for the replies! I’ll let you know what the doc says - hopefully they’ll be a bit more experienced than the previous person I spoke to!

lulah74

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2021, 09:00:32 PM »

Anne G - it’s so frustrating that doctors don’t seem to want to make the connection! I’m glad you have found someone to listen, and hope I will too!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2021, 08:18:11 AM »

Mechanics at the very least! who are these people who refuse to make the connection  :bang:

:welcomemm: girls.  Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use to chart progress.  Ask for an appt. to a menopause clinic as there may be a waiting list.  So many GPs still don't recognise peri symptoms.

Anxiety can be eased by anti-anxiety medication which some require, along with appropriate HRT until the hormones settle a little.  If anxiety impacts badly then it is worth while knocking it on the head when possible.  I have used 'rescue remedy' mouth spray and relaxation therapy over the years as well as prescribed medication.