Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: I need to know if this is normal or whether I need to contact Doctor  (Read 1754 times)

SarahLou68

Good morning ladies, I need some advice please from you lovely lot!
I had a hysteroscopy and endometrial biopsy in December 2020, following very heavy bleeding every month for years (which I thought was normal!).  They removed a large polyp, which they said could have been the cause of the heavy bleeding.  Thankfully the biopsy came back fine and I was expecting the bleeding to lessen.  HOWEVER, I have been now my period since January, alternating between light spotting and flooding. So, things are actually worse than before. 
Now, obviously I have been putting this down to heading towards menopause and was resigned to just dealing with each daily surprise as I went along.  But, this morning (and please forgive the 'to much information') it was literally like jam, I looked as though I had been murdered in my sleep.  My husband is a lovely supportive man, but no-one wants to see that when they wake up. I am ruining clothes and bedding and am exhausted with it all.  :'(
Does this sound normal or do I speak to my Doctor?  I do have a follow up appointment with a consultant in August - can it wait until then?  Sorry for the long post and thank you if you made it this far! x

Sparkler

This does NOT sound normal and it is affecting your life. I think you need to see a doc about this. It may not be life threatening but you shouldn’t have to live with this.

Just my opinion of course, but I would see a doc.

Sparkler

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

Speak to your Nurse Practitioner or GP 2-day, don't be fobbed off with C-19 excuses not to be seen.  There is a drug which can ease heavy bleeding. 

I had heavy, clotty periods for years.  Two thick pads worn at night, laying on a thick bath towel which saved the sheets.  OH it was awful.  For 2 days every month, + painful beyond words.  As well as the expense!

I likened my clots to liver  ::).  I would move slightly and feel them leaving my body  >:(

Let us know how you get on.  U don't have to put up with this.

CLKD

Any news  ???

Lyncola

I would see a doctor, and maybe it’s time to consider a hysterectomy. I did and I don’t regret it.
Heavy bleeding like CLKD says with lots off clots coming out size of eggs, that I would feel it leaving my body.

I also had endometriosis and cyst on my ovaries, after my uterus was removed I was told it weighed three times the normal.

Please let us know how you get on

Taz2

I agree with other comments that you could speak to your GP so that you could at least control the bleeding until your appointment. Have you considered a mirena coil. It can stop periods completely in some cases and make them much lighter in others.

What type of pads and tampons are you using? I found the night time ones an absolute godsend when I was bleeding so heavily. They go from front to back so give much more protection. How often are you changing pads too - this is important in working out just how heavily you are bleeding. Also, clots feel horrible when they come away from the body but, as explained by my GP, they are a good thing as it shows your clotting mechanism is working as opposed to a haemorrhage where there is not clotting.

Taz x

SarahLou68

Hi All
thank you all so much for the replies.  I have spoken to GP and am now taking Tranexamic acid which she says should reduce the flow - fingers crossed.  We have also discussed the way forward and having thought long and hard about it, I have an appointment with a consultant to discuss having an ablation done.  I really don't want to start putting hormones in my body, I'm 53 this year and don't want any more children.
I always use night pads, the problem is that my periods are so irregular that sometimes I get caught out and I really don't want to go to bed feeling like I'm wearing a nappy!  I can also feel the colts coming out, an indescribable sensation for anyone that hasn't experienced it :(
Has anyone had experience with ablation?
Sarah x

CLKD

That's good that your GP seems knowledgable.  An ablation will clear the womb?

As 4 hormones: it's replacement - maybe keep a mood/food/symptom diary to chart progress and decide which symptom you would like to ease first?  U may find that once the bleeding settles and you've had the ablation, you will feel a whole lot better.

Let us know!

SarahLou68

Hi - yes, my understanding is that they clear the womb lining meaning future periods will be a lot lighter or may stop altogether (which is what I am hoping for!)  I will update x

Taz2

If you put ablation into the search box it should bring up all of the posts where its mentioned.

Taz x

Sparkler

Re: I need to know if this is normal or whether I need to contact Doctor
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2021, 02:45:58 PM »

I am so pleased you are getting some help. I know a few ppl who have had the ablation and it has worked brilliantly, so best of luck and let us know how you get on. Xx

SarahLou68

Re: I need to know if this is normal or whether I need to contact Doctor
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2021, 09:59:14 AM »

Just a quick update - I am STILL bleeding/flooding and generally feeling unwell.  I've just spoken to my doctor again as I really can't cope with this much longer.  She's prescribed Utovlan while I wait for the consultant appointment - has anyone had any experience with this?
She says that I need to show that we have tried different approaches as the consultant may be reluctant to go for surgery - how hard am I going to have to fight to get this sorted?
I've also got a blood test booked as she wants to check my iron levels, this is probably why I don't feel great.