Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: 3rd stab at HRT after suicidal thoughts. . .  (Read 780 times)

Orba

3rd stab at HRT after suicidal thoughts. . .
« on: May 17, 2021, 01:43:27 PM »

Hi everyone.
So this is my 3rd go at taking HRT , and it's been nearly a 3 year journey  of seeking help  alternated with trying to "get on with it "
I'm 54 now with no period for over 3 years.
I tried sequential HRT patches when I was 51  but because it made my migraines worse my GP  advised stopping due to stroke risk. I later read that Migraineurs  CAN take HRT.
I struggled on ,dropped my work to 2 days a week as couldn't cope with tiredness etc.
At 53  the GP  agreed to oestrogen gel and Utrogesten. Everything was fine for 8 weeks until  I suffered with heavy bleeding and severe cramping. So off I went to the hospital to be checked
By Gynae dept. The opinion was the  Utrogesten was the cause and " if I had to take HRT " then I needed a Mirena coil  fitted but as we were in a Pandemic this couldn't be done .
So I struggled on.
I had  started to feel what's the point which culminated in  me telling my husband I didn't want to go on ,I felt that bad.I then watched a Programme hosted by Davina Mc call about the Menopause and it inspired me to be assertive and ask for help.
I started Evorel Conti patches 3 days ago. I'm praying this works for me.
Suppose the point of my post is it's a struggle to find something that works. Although my GP  was sympathetic she admitted not knowing enough about effective HRT treatments.
This situation is a travesty for many women who struggle daily.
Maybe women who are 20 today will have better treatment options when they reach meno.
I explain it to my hubby by saying 200 years ago many women didn't live a long life, they would be old women at best !
Modern women have a longer lifespan and we should have the help of we need it !

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: 3rd stab at HRT after suicidal thoughts. . .
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 02:22:37 PM »

GPs should. never have been told not to C patients that required Face2face advice, once we got to August last year!

Some find that keeping a mood/symptom/food diary of use. To chart progress.

Gynaecoogists often don't know more than GPs!  MayB a referral to a menopause clinic? 

:hug:

Orba

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 05:31:52 PM »

Yes that's what I thought about not being seen ,but didn't want to make a fuss !
In fact my GP surgery has a 6 month wait for coil fittings !!
 I did start looking at Menopause clinics  but I'm hoping the patches suit me  :o

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2021, 07:45:48 PM »

6 months is too long to wait. I would ring my Surgery and ask for alternative ideas, i.e. Gynae appt.!