Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Does anyone still drink coffee without exacerbating menopausal symptoms?  (Read 2751 times)

loonarider

I love coffee, but gave up since beginning of last year as I felt it triggered my panic attacks.

Has anyone had success drinking coffee without it exacerbating menopausal symptoms?

I wouldn't say I've been craving or missing coffee for the most part, but today really feel like it, its been more than a year.  :(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

DH was advised that the tear in an eye on intense investigations mayB a result in increased blood pressure readings, possibly caused by coffee.  He stopped for 2 months without problems.  He's now going to begin drinking it again as well as taking his BP readings.

I believe coffee is a stimulant?  I can't drink it as it makes me feel very sick.  Love the smell though.

How have your panics been overall?  I suppose the way to find out, is to risk drinking coffee but not as much each day?  Stopping coffee drinking could have contributed to the head aches you were talking about  :-\

loonarider

DH was advised that the tear in an eye on intense investigations mayB a result in increased blood pressure readings, possibly caused by coffee.  He stopped for 2 months without problems.  He's now going to begin drinking it again as well as taking his BP readings.

I believe coffee is a stimulant?  I can't drink it as it makes me feel very sick.  Love the smell though.

How have your panics been overall?  I suppose the way to find out, is to risk drinking coffee but not as much each day?  Stopping coffee drinking could have contributed to the head aches you were talking about  :-\

Panic attacks have been around for 3 years now. Was diagnosed with panic disorder. Still not sure whether its a menopausal symptom, but I felt doctors pushed the mental health disorder diagnosis over peri.

It begun with anxiety and got worse over time.

I always thought coffee triggered headaches, it did in me at least. Thsts paradoxical. Maybe it all depends on dosag, but when I did drink coffee it was weak.

Ellie2

I have to be very careful with coffee as it triggers anxiety and irritates my urethra. But I really love the taste of good coffee.

I used to more or less live on coffee. I had a full pot in the morning and then had coffee throughout the day. I never connected that to the low grade uneasiness I felt until one day I think I actually OD´d on the stuff and decided to go cold turkey.

For over a year I didn't touch caffeine in neither tea or coffee or soda, and the difference was day and night. After the initial withdrawal I felt a calm I could hardly remember. I slept way better and had less joint aches. My energy levels were in no way affected.

Then I started up again but kept it to 1-3 small cups a day and never after lunch. That works for me. I will have decaf tea or coffee after that if I still want a drink of something. If I am anxious or stressed I don't have coffee but go for decaf.

loonarider

I have to be very careful with coffee as it triggers anxiety and irritates my urethra. But I really love the taste of good coffee.

I used to more or less live on coffee. I had a full pot in the morning and then had coffee throughout the day. I never connected that to the low grade uneasiness I felt until one day I think I actually OD´d on the stuff and decided to go cold turkey.

For over a year I didn't touch caffeine in neither tea or coffee or soda, and the difference was day and night. After the initial withdrawal I felt a calm I could hardly remember. I slept way better and had less joint aches. My energy levels were in no way affected.

Then I started up again but kept it to 1-3 small cups a day and never after lunch. That works for me. I will have decaf tea or coffee after that if I still want a drink of something. If I am anxious or stressed I don't have coffee but go for decaf.

Good tips there thanks. I may just have coffee before 12 and be done with it.

Like you the change in how I felt was stark. First thing I noticed was that I wasn't getting panic attacks during the day, and generally calmed the anxiety right down. I still get panic attacks at night now, but usually comes on when I'm lying in bed unfortunately.

Definitely feel there was a clear correlation between the anxiety/shortness of breath I experienced during the day and the caffeinated coffee (and Yorkshire tea) I was drinking.

Thanks again. x

Dierdre

I used to love coffee, always had a pot on the go and just loved the smell in the kitchen.  Haven't been able to drink it since mid forties, suddenly caused palpations and slurred speech as if i was high on something. Even ended up in A&E wired up for hours to monitor my heart.

Lyncola

I just like to say my menopause is crap, body aches, virginal atrophy, sore eyes, ibs, sore stabbing pains in my ribs, headaches and facial pain etc. And I never had a coffee in my life, just don’t like the taste.

So for me coffee has nothing to do with making menopause worse

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

Anxiety is certainly a symptom in peri-menopause.  Which is why GPs tend to prescribe ADs etc. instead of discussing HRT requirements.

dahliagirl

I have a nice big cup - strong cafetiere coffee in a large mugful of hot milk, French style - about once a week.

I really like it but it gives me bladder irritation problems.  A physiotherapist recommended a cup as a stimulant for peristalsis for going to the loo at a regular time (constipation) but I can't have it every day.

In the past it has made me anxious and jumpy and increased the palpitations I was experiencing.  That seems to be less of a problem without the coffee and my one a week does not make it worse.

It is a special treat and I have it with something like toast for breakfast (usually have porridge & fruit) or a tunnocks tea cake in the afternoon.  Or my latest fad - cinnamon buns.

Joaniepat

I still drink coffe, but too much makes me feel a bit nauseous, I guess it's the acidity. After 3pm I don't touch caffeine at all, sleep is good and no anxiety. Whether coffee, tea, decaf or the real thing, it has made no difference to anything, including UTI-type symptoms. Rooibos is nice, as are a couple of the herbals, eg, Clipper 'Sleep Easy' and 'Snore & Peace'. Very relaxing at any time of day 🙂

JP x

Iris67

I had to stop it for a year because it seemed to magnify the anxiety. That has now subsided on the whole (other than a monthly desperate existential crisis!) and I have a 1 shot once a day. Sorry if TMI but nothing like it for regulating the bowels!

Aprilflower

Caffeine triggered migraine when I was in peri.  Now I limit myself to one caffeine drink a day otherwise I get palpatations.

There are some really good quality decaffeinated products now so I don't feel deprived.

Grheliz1

I drink it much as I always did: perhaps a cup fewer a day.

Salad

I love a cup of coffee! I do add the odd Decaf into the mix now though  :D

Postmeno3

I treat myself to one mug of very good quality coffee mid-morning and that's me for the day. I sleep like a log and have no apparent effects. I do notice if I have some mid/late afternoon, I become overheated and a bit "wired", sleep poorer later on. I don't think they covered nutrition in the programme this week?
Pages: [1] 2