Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: HRT patches, mini pill, (desogestrel) and hair loss  (Read 2602 times)

Aitchfruit

• First Flush
HRT patches, mini pill, (desogestrel) and hair loss
« on: May 13, 2021, 09:19:02 PM »

I’ve recently been prescribed Evorel Conti HRT patches and as I’m already on the mini pill, (desogestrel - progestogen) and I haven’t yet reached 52 yrs old, (I’m currently 51), the doctor has advised I stay on the pill for the time being, to ensure I don’t get pregnant, (although I have no idea when I last had a period). For the 12 months or so prior to starting HRT, I’ve lost a lot of hair and my hair parting is getting ever wider, with more of my scalp showing, or at least I’m extremely conscious of it. Has anyone experienced an improvement to hair loss since taking these patches and / or is the mini pill a major contributing factor to my hair loss, i.e. does anyone think the HRT would counteract any issues from having just synthetic progesterone? I’m concerned that my situation could even worsen when combining the pill with the Evorel Conti HRT patches.

Hurdity

Re: HRT patches, mini pill, (desogestrel) and hair loss
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2021, 06:51:33 PM »

Hi  Aitchfruit

Sorry to hear about you hair loss. This is complicated and there have been many posts about this disconcerting symptom. I don't really know about desogestrel but the progestogen in Evorel conti is norethisterone which is one of the more androgenic types and as such is thought potentially to increase hair loss in some woen. That being the case maybe not the best choice. Also you may well find that adding this to the mini pill may give rise to progestogenic side effects.

However there are a couple of contraceiptive pills which also provide oestrogen but in the bio-identical form of estradiol. More suited to menopausl womn although doc might say you're too old ( they shouldn't though because these do not contain the strong synthetic oestrogens like most of the COC pills) Qlaira - is actually estradiol valerate but converts to estradiol in the body. The point is there are only 2 pill free days and progestogens are not taken every day. Have a look at the sections on contraception on this site (from the menu). Here's one of the sections: https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/contra2.php. There is another pill called Zoely also with similar menopause-friendy oestrogen.

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x

Aitchfruit

• First Flush
Re: HRT patches, mini pill, (desogestrel) and hair loss
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 10:11:17 PM »

Thanks Hurdity for the info. It’s much appreciated as it is all such a mine field.