Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Should I use mammogram radiologist for Biopsy?  (Read 839 times)

hereandthere

Should I use mammogram radiologist for Biopsy?
« on: May 13, 2021, 01:38:00 PM »

Possibly due to extremes of going right off HRT and then back (due to carpal tunnel I’ve posted elsewhere about), I developed a large cyst overnight. As an aside going back on the higher estrogen HRT was a shocker the first two days- I was hugely dizzy, especially the first night and just felt terrible.
Of course I only knew it was a cyst on having a mammogram a week ago. Unfortunately they also picked up what appears to be pleomorphic micro-calcification cluster- B-RAD4 (quite suspicious), so I am booked for a sterostatic (using mammogram to guide) vacuum assisted biopsy. I was told I’d have to wait 12 days.
 Today (a week in) I found out my biopsy is pushed out by another week due to inefficiency of my gynae in sending through approval, (as required by Medical Aid before the booking).
I spoke to the person who did my mammogram and she said she wouldn’t advise to try to book sooner with another firm of radiologists who are less busy, because she said radiologists are used to working with their own imaging. 
When I asked the competitors today, they said it wouldn’t be a problem although they’d need to first look at my images, before booking (still quicker). They do MRI vacuum assisted instead of sterostatic, but looking it up, I see the success rate is almost identical. However I’m thinking they may need to do additional imaging of whatever sort, if by a different means.
I liked my mammographer so there’s comfort, however it will be the radiologist who did the report but who I didn’t meet who would perform the actual biopsy.
I don’t feel like having to go elsewhere, but the suspense is killing me. I haven’t told my daughters, the wait is so stressful and I feel like I don’t know if I can get through another week if there is an alternative- 20th versus the 26th.  I had prepared mentally and then just got to ally thrown today. I work home and in the office and today was a home day, but I’ve just not been able to work, I’m so anxious.😬  :'(
If no advice from anybody, at least I can vent here!!

Machair

Re: Should I use mammogram radiologist for Biopsy?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2021, 01:50:08 PM »

Sending you all the love in the world. I can't advise but just know you are not alone. The waiting is so much worse than the procedure or the outcome isn't it? I'm waiting for an op too ( uterine polyp) and I can't think about much else.
I would do whatever you feel makes you calmer and more in control. xxx

hereandthere

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2021, 01:58:57 PM »

Thankyou. 🤗
I’m going to sleep on it at any rate.
You can probably tell from my research that I’m the controlling type, so I think I make it harder on myself.
Good luck with your op! I hope it’s soon. Xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2021, 06:32:08 PM »

U R Stateside? Radiologists don't do biopsies in the UK, that's a Surgeon's job. 

I would stick with the original scans.  Can you alter the Hospital? 

I had a needle biopsy, followed by removal of the lump and precautionary radiation.  Took about 6 months in all.  That was in the 1990s. 

MayB make a list of your worries 2 take along?

hereandthere

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2021, 04:08:42 PM »

Thanks CLKD. You are so good at giving input to everyone on this site. Much appreciated. :)
I’m in South Africa and we definitely have radiologists doing these type of biopsies. It is basically a needle biopsy, with the mammogram guiding it.
I have contacted a really good surgeon (by reputation and had a relative go to him) and his receptionist said that at their associated breast clinic, biopsy bookings are even later than the 26th, and that my firm of radiologists are really good, so I feel better about hanging on. When the biopsy is done, if I do turn out to have cancer, his receptionist has confirmed I can book with him,
So at least I have a plan, as much as the waiting really sucks. :(

Iris67

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2021, 04:49:48 PM »

Radiologists can do that now - I've had a couple, but only latterly (post 2010) Both cysts and guided by ultrasound rather than mammogram.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2021, 07:39:29 PM »

Interesting Iris67  :thankyou:

Ultrasound gives a better view point I understand?

Iris67

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2021, 08:08:30 PM »

Ultrasound saved my life! Mammogram missed the cancer (younger women have more dense breast tissue) and ultrasound found it. Had two biopsies that way and a cyst aspirated. Much better - no radiation.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2021, 08:11:43 PM »

Technology is improving diagnosis and treatment !

[we had eye tests recently, criky - it was like a Space Station! ]  ;D