Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Returning symptoms  (Read 1113 times)

Nas

Returning symptoms
« on: May 10, 2021, 05:28:27 PM »

Hi,
Currently off HRT ( patch and utrogestan) due to recurring bleeding and symptoms not being controlled on the current dose. Awaiting appointment with my clinic.

For those of you who have come off HRT either temporarily or permanently, how long did it take for your symptoms to return? Are your symptoms better, the same or worse than before HRT?

I’ve been off my patch since Thursday and am expecting a plethora of symptoms any day! Not what I want, but neither do I want to keep bleeding AND have anxiety palpitations etc.

Thanks 😀

Taz2

Re: Returning symptoms
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 08:13:28 PM »

Hi Blitzen5. I've had to come off HRT twice in the past fourteen years and each time it takes around three months for all of the symptoms to return. Hot flushes are the first ones to reappear - around a month after stopping. I hope that you soon find an HRT to suit you.

Taz x

Nas

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 08:45:32 PM »

Thanks Taz,
God I can’t bear the flushes.
I need to get sorted ASAP.

CherrySG

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 12:38:55 PM »

Hi Blitzen, I came off just recently for the last 8 weeks. I'm also taking citalopram, which has helped with the meno symptoms, but I need quite a high dose to get the relief...and the high dose turned me into a demotivated zombie!

So I cut the citalopram, just by a tiny bit, and the VA and dry eyes at night have come roaring back, with some joint stiffness. My Vagifem pessary fell out this morning, completely undissolved! And there was me, wondering why it wasn't working.

Because I'm not necessarily the most stable of people, I had chucked all my HRT in the bin. I've just had to fish it all out (yuck!) and stick on an Estradot. I get very tired on HRT AND antidpressants, but I need both these days.

I've never had much in the way of hot flushes, although thinking about it I had one yesterday, but it was fleeting and didn't involve sweating. Must be awful - until I came on here I did not realise how disruptive they must be to quality of life. I do hope the clinic sort you out with something that works.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 12:42:17 PM by CherrySG »

Nas

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 03:53:06 PM »

Thanks for your reply cherry.
I don’t fancy anti depressants either, I have sertraline but have never taken it!
I can’t bear the thought of a return of hot flushes! Have found some spare Estradot also and stuck one on! I can’t wait for the symptoms to all return,  it would be hell!

Just got to badger the clinic now!

CherrySG

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021, 06:44:59 PM »

I know what you mean, just a hint of the VA going back to it's former ways made me stick a patch on pronto  :o

Sertraline turned me slowly into a very angry person, which I'm totally the opposite of normally. And my hair fell out!!! I don't like citalopram much but it's the only one I can tolerate.

I'm low on Provera and need to call the GP tomorrow. Might try combi patches this time, hoping to just slap the thing on a couple of times a week and forget about it. Here's hoping!

hereandthere

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2021, 02:11:28 PM »

I got joint pain within 24 hours, just from a big reduction in estrogen. I flush even on HRT, but after a week it started getting worse.
The worst was going back on after two weeks without.
I found myself crawling to my husband crying for help as I thought I was passing out the first night after my pill, although I didn’t experience this when I first started back in the day. I suppose my natural hormones were higher then.
I didn’t phone the doctor as I wanted to go back on. Next day also quite bad, but by the third day I was ok.