Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Back here after a while with some questions - vaginal pain/dryness  (Read 1296 times)

Momo

Hello there, lovely to be back here,
Wonder if you can help?  have used this forum before to get great help and support with my menopause symptoms. I decided a few years ago to stop using HRT, suffering from terrible migraines etc. I wasn't able to have just Oestrogen only HRT as i still have a womb.
The hot flushes have all but gone - horray! but i still feel rubbish, still get some migraines but only every 4/5 months and not every other week, which is what i had on HRT.

Meanwhile i have had a couple of depressive 'episodes' which needed a bit of time off work, but i haven't wanted to take Anti Depressants and sort of manage my anxiety using good eating/ exercise and a  bit of CBD oil and lots of support from work.

But the anxiety is getting worse and brain fog is not passing ( i am 51 now and started being menopausal aged approx 44) and to be honest i am fed up :)

as well as all this i have I have terrible vaginal pain when trying to insert anything - it doesn't hurt normally - except if i cycle a lot  even before the menopause, which means that i can't insert anything inside - so pessaries are out, but i would still like to enjoy some form of sex with my lovely husband. Even trying to have non penetrative sex is very painful.

So i was wondering if just finding a good lubricant  or something to plump up that area would be a better option - and does anyone have any suggestions?  if could and ideally something that makes my vagina feel less painful all the time, rather than just when i was having sex or going for my cervical smear :( or any internal examination
So feels like a couple of questions:
Any suggestions for Vaginal pain/ soreness
any suggestions for supplements that might help mood/ brain fog?
i currently take Codliver oil, vit A and Vit D supplement and CBD oil

is there anything i can do to make a difference.

Thanks in advance for any advice - i do have a chat with the practice nurse tomorrow but not sure what she can suggest, but i would still like to explore the options

sending positive vibes to all the supportive folks  on here too
x

all

Joaniepat

Re: Back here after a while with some questions - vaginal pain/dryness
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2021, 12:59:25 PM »

Momo, for VA you need to treat the area with local oestrogen, usually Vagifem and/or an oestriol cream to start with. You can look on Louise Newson's website and also join the Vaginal Atrophy Facebook support group (private) for more support and information. You can also try a vaginal moisturizer, Yes brand is good and they have an informative website. For now though, try Hydromol or Epaderm from the chemist.
JP x

Momo

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2021, 01:19:12 PM »

thanks JP will have a look at that
x

Postmeno3

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2021, 01:27:19 PM »

Awful, isn't it?! Depends what sort of route you want to go down, but Joaniepat has given you superb advice. Some of us are finding Sea Buckthorn useful for dryness and D-Mannose for preventing or treating utis. The menopause clinic recommended YES oil-based moisturiser (rather than the water-based one which didn't help me at all). Otherwise, yes, conventionally, exactly as Joaniepat has suggested. Sadly, this ain't going away and will only get worse without ongoing support, most probably beneficially from topical oestrogen. There's quite a range to find what suits you best. Good luck!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 01:30:29 PM by Postmeno3 »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2021, 01:28:41 PM »

Hi do read the 'bladder issues' and 'vaginal atrophy' threads.  Make notes  ;)

U don't need an exam to be prescribed 'vagifem' or 'ovestin' if your surgery ain't seeing Face2Face.

Momo

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2021, 01:34:58 PM »

thanks again, i don't have any urinary problems (thank goodness!) but will investigate some of those alternatives - good luck to everyone making their way in this menopause maze :) x

Tinkerbell

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2021, 02:11:53 PM »

The Vagifem applicator is very thin, have you tried it?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2021, 02:44:46 PM »

1 doesn't need to have urinary problems - atrophy creeps up and can be nipped in the bud B4 symptoms become troublesome.

Momo

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2021, 03:05:36 PM »

Hi Tinkerbell

no i haven't tried the vagifem applicator,  i might give it a try but generally i have found i can't get anything in with much degree of comfort,it really it causes so much pain.  It has been a problem since i was young and i have never had sex without  some kind of pain  though numbing gels helped a bit - but didn't do much for a passionate night in :) Hubby is amazing and we have been creative  ;D but we have never found a solution, even growing up i couldn't use a tampon , but i just would love to not feel pain when having sex, will keep going on the solutions and i really appreciate the advice i get here - thank you.

p.s doen't help i am going for a cervical smear test tomorrow - and it will be horrible, :( was hoping hitting the menopause would mean i don't need to have them any more but i read i have to keep going every 5 years until i reach 65

Joaniepat

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2021, 03:39:57 PM »

Momo, regarding the pain on intercourse, have you considered seeing a women's health physio? I'm sorry to hear that this has gone on for so long, this issue and the VA together must be rotten, and make life very difficult when an internal procedure is necessary.
JP x

Momo

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2021, 06:57:20 PM »

Hi JP
i hadn't heard of a women's health physio, so i have just looked one up and there is one nearish me, so i might investigate that further, thanks for the heads up :) x

Joaniepat

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2021, 07:00:14 PM »

Hi JP
i hadn't heard of a women's health physio, so i have just looked one up and there is one nearish me, so i might investigate that further, thanks for the heads up :) x
That's good, hope she can help!

Momo

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2021, 05:44:24 PM »

just a bit of an update, went for my smear today and as suspected it is vaginal atrophy, they couldn't complete the smear test, so i am off to pick up a prescription for vaginal cream and hope it will help even without an applicator, which i can't get in either. So will take it slow and see if just using the cream 'loosens' things enough to get the applicator in. :o The nurse was lovely and kind , thanks for all the support here, all the best to those seeking answers and those lovely people who offer advice and support. x