Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Oestrogel pumps - why not near genitals or face?  (Read 6951 times)

Lamplighter

Oestrogel pumps - why not near genitals or face?
« on: May 10, 2021, 12:43:17 PM »

Hi, hoping someone can help with my questions.

I'm puzzled by the instructions on leaflet and various internet sites about having to keep Oestrogel away from the genitals, breasts and face.  I can sort of understand breasts because of the connection between oestrogen and breast cancer risk, but I don't get why you can't put it near the genitals (utrogestan being ingested to counter endometrial thickening, though I'd have thought genitals were far enough away from the womb for it not to be an issue). 

And face?

And does anyone have any idea why the only places it seems ok to put the gel are inner thighs or upper arms?  Why not buttocks or the rest of your legs or even feet for that matter - and hands too, as you get the gel on your hands when you rub it in?

I've scoured the internet, and these forums, and can find nothing at all to explain these things, so any info or ideas most gratefully appreciated.  Ta   :)

LL

Lamplighter

Re: Oestrogel pumps - why not near genitals or face?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 07:52:34 AM »

Anyone? 

Any ideas?  Even guesses would be appreciated.  Thanks.  LL

CherrySG

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 06:39:08 PM »

I've always wondered about why you can't put it in the 'pant' area like the patches. It is the same stuff, after all!

I generally put it on upper arms or inside lower arms below the elbow (where it absorbs perfectly well) and on lower legs as someone else on here recommended. All seems fine. If you use 3 pumps then there are only so many areas you can apply it  ;D

Erika28

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 07:19:35 PM »

The alcohol in the gel will irritate the genitals, skin there is very sensitive and thin (i.e. mucosal). Absorption there is also far greater. Applied to the face, it can also sting and will likely result in far higher levels due to greater absorption in the area. Estrogen applied to the face can also lead to hyperpigmentation (i.e. brown patches). Estrogel was also not tested in these areas, the manufacturer can only recommend those areas that they tested and proved to be safe.

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 11:18:53 PM »

My guess is that these are the areas the manufacturer has tested it on too. And it makes sense to avoid any areas of sensitive skin.

Lamplighter

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2021, 07:04:26 AM »

Thanks so much CherrySG, Erika28, and Sheila99 for your replies.   :)

Yeah that  makes sense, both about the alcohol and the sensitivity and absorption rate of skin in those areas.

Also makes sense that the manufacturer only recommends areas that have been tested (begs the question though, why have they only tested those areas - as Cherry says, it must be possible to use the stuff on other parts of the body as well, considering you need quite a big area to apply it and if you're into three or even four pumps, hmmmm). 

Anyway my concerns have been addressed and I appreciate your replies, thanks again xxx

LL

Grheliz1

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2021, 03:32:39 PM »

Buttocks are fine, my doctor told me. Again not too near the genitals, though.

Lamplighter

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2021, 06:57:12 PM »

Sorry Grheliz1 I only just saw your reply - that's good to know, especially as I have quite a sizeable pair to spread the gel over!  Just got to make sure I don't sit down too soon afterwards.  Thanks for posting xx