Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Thinking of restarting HRT  (Read 1177 times)

Denni

• First Flush
Thinking of restarting HRT
« on: May 10, 2021, 09:21:57 AM »

Morning,

I am new here and looking for some advice. I’ve had a look around the forum and haven’t seen anything regarding my particular issue.

I am 53 and post menopausal (6 years)

I was on a combined patch for over a year ( I think femseven? ) about 4 years ago. I bled every 3 weeks whilst on that patch. The usual tests were carried out and all was fine. I was taken off the patch after that year and started ovestin cream for vaginal dryness which was my main symptom at that time. That works for me.

Now I want to restart systemic HRT as my memory and brain fog and some sleep difficulties are an issue. I also want the protective side of HRT for long term health.

I have had migraines in the past - thinking back I was probably peri when I had them.

Any thoughts on the best regime. My GP didn’t know much but was willing to look into options and prescribe .

I’m concerned that the bleeding will return ...GP wondered about a mirena coil?

Thank you for reading .

Denni

Julia Dizzy

Re: Thinking of restarting HRT
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2021, 04:38:13 PM »

Hello Denni and hope you find this forum brilliant as I did!

I'm 64 (13 years post menopause and only 18 months on HRT) and currently on Estradot 50 patch with 100mg Utrogestan orally daily.
I have tried 2 pumps Estrogel with the Utrogestan which is also fine, just find the patch which is changed twice weekly a bit more convenient. The current "gold standard" advised by my Meno clinic was the gel and the Utro, as transdermal is considered safer when you are older. I didn't get any bleeding on that combination.

I tried Indivina 1mg/2.5mg in 2011 and that suited me very well, but it was at the time when HRT wasn't considered safe to be on long term and my Gp wanted me to stop. I suffered for the next 8 years without anything and with awful hot flushes!!

I have also tried the FemSeven conti patch which came out again this year but it irritated my skin so had to stop that.

There are so many different regimes and unfortunately there are a lot of us still trying to find the right one, bit of a minefield! You may be ok on an oral tablet as you are a bit younger, but of course it's a matter of preference.

Sounds like you have a good Gp who will help which is a bonus and other ladies will probably come along and tell you their experiences. There's lots to read on here!

Take care and hope you soon get sorted? x

Denni

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2021, 07:46:19 PM »

Thank you Julia Dizzy for your kind words and sharing your experience.

I’m hopeful that there is a HRT solution for me 😊

Good luck with your HRT journey xx

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2021, 06:06:37 PM »

I’m on Femoston conti, and I find the progesterone in that good for me.
My migraines have considerably lessened lately. Altho, I don’t think I can blame the HRT for that as I’ve been on it a good few years now. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Helen greenwood

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2021, 08:14:48 AM »

Hi I'm new on here .can someone just say hi please x

Joaniepat

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2021, 08:16:32 AM »

Hi, welcome to the Forum!
JP x

Helen greenwood

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2021, 08:19:56 AM »

Thank you x

sheila99

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2021, 09:38:28 AM »

I would ask for transdermal as it's safer than oral. Bleeding in the first six months of a conti regime can be expected. I would leave the mirena option for later, it gives you more progesterone than you need as it's designed as a contraceptive so it may be too much for you. It probably doesn't matter which you start on as you have to try it to know if it suits you.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 10:34:27 AM by sheila99 »

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2021, 09:49:22 AM »

Hi I'm new on here .can someone just say hi please x

Hi Helen. You might like to post on the New Members thread where more people will see it and they will be able to welcome you.

Taz x  :welcomemm: