Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Femoston conti 1 over 5  (Read 1140 times)

Twynnedays

• First Flush
Femoston conti 1 over 5
« on: May 08, 2021, 03:29:37 PM »

I am currently on femoston conti tablets over 5. I'm 51 and althougt they're "OK" I'm still getting awful night sweats and feel like I need to have a wee so frequently. My ankles and knees are aching so much and wake me up. I was on everol conti patches from age 46 to age 50 as I was still having periods but had horrendous symptoms. The patches worked a dream but the GP took me off them when I had some bad headaches and just told me "see how I go"...... Ended up in an absolute state, got prescribed prozac and some rubbish vaginal moisturiser. Begged for HRT back and hit these tablets. I've done so much research that I'm now confused and just wondering can I have a vaginal oestrogen cream as well as my tablets or ask for something totally different 😒😒

Taz2

Re: Femoston conti 1 over 5
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2021, 05:18:06 PM »

Hi Twynnedays. To answer your last question first yes you can use a topical vaginal treatment as well as full HRT. Lots of us on here do - me included - and this should help with the need to wee feeling.

When you started HRT I think you should have been given Evorel sequi not conti as you were still having periods and I'm wondering why you have been given a conti HRT again as you can't be certain that you are post menopause (one year at least without a natural period) and the sequi would give you a withdrawal bleed each month which protects the womb lining. Sorry if there is a specific reason for this in your case. I'm not sure but I think the new HRT has a lower dose of oestrogen than the Evorel which is more likely to give you got flushes again. If you were taken off a patch HRT because of headaches it's strange that you have now been put on a tablet one as patches or gel are recommended if headaches are a problem.

I would go back to your doctor and ask to be put back onto Evorel if it suited you well. Some GP's don't know much about menopause or HRT. Continuous progesterone as in the conti HRT can give some women problems with mood and muscle aches so it could be this making you feel so horrible.

You will find lots of help and advice on here. Have a good look around our posts and the menu at the top of the screen.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Twynnedays

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 07:32:22 AM »

That's fab thanks so much. And I totally made an error I was on everol sequi sorry. The GP I realise now was totally without any knowledge and I really wish I had been educated enough to question his decision. I got put on tablets due to the shortage of patches. So in short I had periods on the patches then had none for the 7 months I stopped HRT and even since going on the tablets I have had none.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 08:07:07 AM »

It can be very confusing so no need to apologise  :)

When you are on a conti HRT then apart from the first six months there should be no bleeding. On sequi HRT it's called a withdrawal bleed as it happens (in most women) each month when you stop the two weeks of progesterone containing patches. Although you didn't have a natural period for seven months when you were off HRT you need to have had a year without periods to be classed as post menopausal which is normally when you are put on to a conti HRT. Some doctors consider you post menopausal, if you are already on HRT, from the age of 53.

I would ask the doctor for Evorel Sequi again as they made you feel good and try them for an initial three months to see how you get on. It may help if you find out as much as you can about the prescribing of HRT and headaches if your GP isn't that clued up on Meno.

Taz x  :hug:

Twynnedays

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2021, 12:49:47 PM »

Thankyou so much. I'll make an appointment this week and go armed with my information. All we want is to feel ourselves again ❤️