Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan vs the Mirena coil - your experiences?  (Read 1661 times)

Gilla999

Utrogestan vs the Mirena coil - your experiences?
« on: May 09, 2021, 10:36:14 AM »

Hi all

I'm in my first month of HRT (Lenzetto) and next week will start taking Utrogestan vaginally (tried it once before orally and was a zombie). I have only ever been symptomatic (night sweats and relentless middle of the night insomnia) for the last two weeks of my cycle and I'm guessing it makes more sense for me to try to mimic my natural cycle with taking Utrogestan on the normal sequence of 12 days every two weeks - otherwise I'm thinking I will still have my own very low Progesterone causing problems at its natural time, plus another period of side effects from the Utrogestan.

However I am also weighing up the Mirena coil and wondered if anyone could share their experiences (for or against) on either? My only drawbacks from the Mirena are that it's a synthetic Prog vs bio identical (I don't tend to do well with synthetic Progs) and also that as it's so low dose, I might still potentially have my own symptoms from my low Prog level in the last two weeks of my natural cycle? But then I like the idea that the Mirena dose is constant and there is no sudden withdrawal from Prog like with Utrogestan.

Any thoughts / experiences on the two? x

Mandypands

Re: Utrogestan vs the Mirena coil - your experiences?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 03:12:36 PM »

Hi, I had the Mirena coil for about a year. I can honestly say it was the worst year of my life. It gave me terrible chronic fatigue, brain fog, urinary incontinence, bad mid cycle pain, insomnia and bloating. Within a few weeks of removal all of those symptoms went away. Obviously, lots of women have it and find it suits them, but for me it was a nightmare. I had it fitted for heavy periods. The periods were lighter and shorter!

Flan747

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 05:19:46 PM »

I had the Mirena removed after about 5 months! I felt so tired all the time! I am in 100mg nightly of Utrogestron and dine that it works! I used to take it for 2 weeks a month but couldn’t stand the ups and downs, it is more stable now. Hope that helps, also it’s more natural, Mirena is synthetic

Gilla999

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 07:00:59 PM »

Thanks both, this is really helpful!
Flan can I ask - are / were you still having periods? I don't think I'm allowed to take 100mg (vaginally) every day unless I'm not having periods???

I had initially thought I would only take Utrogestan every 6 weeks for example (to avoid the ups and downs and the side effects from it). But then I thought - because I'm still having a regular cycle as far as I know, i'd probably still get my peri menopausal symptoms during the last 2 weeks of my natural cycle AND then another two weeks of bad days when I took the Utrogestan! (My gynae believes my symptoms are being caused by low Prog in the last 2 weeks of my cycle, as much as my low Estrogen.)

I still haven't made my mind up which is the best approach - and I don't have long to decide  ;D
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 07:03:59 PM by Gilla999 »

Flan747

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2021, 07:10:04 PM »

Yes still having some periods but not as regular as they used to be! I take it 100mg orally each evening

Grheliz1

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 03:10:25 PM »

My experience of the Mirena has been extremely positive. I've had it for just under five months now. I am slightly more inclined to retain a pound of so of water weight, which I can usually flush out if so minded. That's it, the only side-effect.

Utrogestan left me feeling sleepy unless i took it vaginally and never stopped me bleeding and developing polyps (I was on continuous HRT so this shouldn't have happened).

I wish I had had a Mirena inserted years ago.