Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: "Sex, Myth and Menopause" Channel 4 next week.  (Read 6269 times)

Dawn20

Re: "Sex, Myth and Menopause" Channel 4 next week.
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2021, 12:14:43 PM »

I enjoyed the programme and was staggered by some of the statistics, over 80% of women with virginal dryness, and only 8% having treatment. Only 10% of women on HRT, only one menopause clinic north of Leeds in England, though there are more in Scotland. 5 yrs for one woman to be referred to a menopause clinic, whilst obviously struggling.

I found Marcella Frostrup’s The Truth about Menopause BBC iPlayer equally informative, if not more realistic in some areas, like sex after menopause.

Raising awareness can only help though.

Postmeno3

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2021, 12:43:28 PM »

Thanks, Dawn20. I'll take a look at Mariella later.

Robin

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2021, 12:49:33 PM »

I’ve just seen one of the GPs who I unfortunately saw while trying to get treatment tweeting about people bashing GPs in relation to this programme. I’m so blumming angry to see that after the way she treat me in relation to my menopause symptoms. She was ill informed and very unpleasant. She’s part of the reason I suffered for so many years and almost lost my life.

I’m so so angry which is very unlike me. Hate feeling angry going for a walk to cool off

:angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :hotflash: :hotflash: :hotflash: :hotflash:   :cuss: :argue:
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 01:29:15 PM by Robin »

Robin

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2021, 01:18:08 PM »

How can so many GPs be so blinkered as to the sheer scale of women struggling to get appropriate menopause treatment. I had a lot of appointments over many years but didn’t get treatment until I went private . :hotflash:
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 01:19:55 PM by Robin »

Robin

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2021, 01:21:13 PM »

I’m so angry I can’t type or spell  >: ;D :'(

Shell babes

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2021, 01:42:38 PM »

I enjoyed watching the programme and am pleased that more people are talking about menopause.

There was too much to cover in one hour but Davina did well.

Shame they didn’t mention testosterone gel as part of a HRT regime, not only for libido but for energy, sleep,  etc. This was something that I found very difficult to obtain and had to travel far and wide (as many of you have) to finally receive the treatment.  It would have been good to expose the fact that not all GP’s will prescribe as they don’t know enough about it as it isn’t officially licensed for women.  I know that moves are being made regarding Androfeme etc but it would help to speed up the process.  It’s like they said on the programme, if it were men, it would been sorted by now.

Robin

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2021, 01:56:09 PM »

I thought it was great but the response from RCGP was awful. The same  attitude as so many GPs in relation to menopause, very dismissive.

Robin

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2021, 02:16:33 PM »

The unpleasantness I’m seeing from NHS doctors on Twitter in relation to this programme is my opinion a good indicator as to the reasons why we have such difficulty accessing menopause treatment in this country. I went to bed last night after watching it feeling happy and optimistic but now feel quite despondent. How can things change if they can’t see there’s a problem

Robin

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2021, 02:26:06 PM »

Sorry ladies, It’s not like me to get so angry but I’ve had a good cry and stopped ranting.

It’s a good job I don’t have a twitter account as I might have responded

🤬 😱 🤐

hotmama

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2021, 02:50:56 PM »

No need to apologise Robin, I’m sure everyone quite understands your wrath. Knowing the lack of GP knowledge about the menopause and HRT, led me to seek help from a private gynaecologist, especially as I was 64 at the time. Expensive but well worth it.

Diamonds and pearls 53

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2021, 02:52:35 PM »

Robin, l can understand your anger, l am not on Twitter so haven't read the responses but do not comprehend  how G. P's can defend themselves when the evidence from so many women is overwhelming. I hope you speak up about the G. P who failed you even if it means contacting the practice manager and flagging it up! Perhaps we should all be doing this if we've received poor advice from misinformed G. P's.

Perinowpost

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2021, 03:00:57 PM »

It is down to your individual practice and how educated/enlightened they are. I got every single thing I asked for from my GP’s from VA treatment to testosterone. This is in West Yorkshire. I know not everyone is so lucky, hence Davina’s statistics. It does seem to be a bit of a lottery x

Iris67

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2021, 03:01:32 PM »

The unpleasantness I’m seeing from NHS doctors on Twitter in relation to this programme is my opinion a good indicator as to the reasons why we have such difficulty accessing menopause treatment in this country. I went to bed last night after watching it feeling happy and optimistic but now feel quite despondent. How can things change if they can’t see there’s a problem

Ah yes....not happy when they're standing equal to us. Many doctors have a bit of a God complex. We have a very paternalistic attitude to medicine in this country and many GPs expect us to be passive recipients of whatever they advise. We have more input when we're having a room decorated or some gardening done - these are our bodies! We get the one, they get to practice on many.

Huge salaries (many leaving due to being up to the top of their million £ pensions) loads of adulation and a hugely fulfilling career. They have nothing to complain about.

Seahorse

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2021, 03:01:43 PM »

Robin I totally agree with you about the response from the RCGP. It was defensive and disinterested very like the GPs myself and my friend have encountered at our local surgery.
 I was really shocked at the lack of Menopause clinics in the North of England, and I was surprised to see more in Scotland. However I feel there is huge disparity in the quality of care provided by different NHS clinics. It's not much good having access to one if they are not open to keeping up-to-date and transparent in their management of women's health.

Diamonds and pearls 53

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2021, 03:12:53 PM »

Can anyone post the response from the RCGP please? I've searched but couldn't find it and am not on Twitter. Thanks in advance!  :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4