Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Advice please discomfort down below!  (Read 1716 times)

SaraC2773

Advice please discomfort down below!
« on: May 01, 2021, 08:36:08 AM »

Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar to what I currently appear to be going through.

About a week ago I noticed that upon wiping I had a very faint pink streak on the toilet paper and and an area outside of the vagina that felt sore,  almost like  paper cut if you touched it.  I didn't think too much of it as it passed and it was just the one off.

However,  it happened again yesterday and again I feel this stinging sore area and had the faint pink on the toilet paper.  I feel very very dry at the moment and discharge is quite thick (sorry tmi) so I've not sure if this is lack of lubrication causing almost it feels like a chapped area!

A few years ago I was prescribed vaginal estrogen as a GP at the surgery felt my bleeding after intercourse was caused through vaginal dryness but I was then referred to the hospital who said it was due to a polyp like area on the cervix.  I've not been having intercourse for a few years,  ashamed to say but that side of my marriage died when hubby and I went through a really rough patch and has never recovered so I'm not sure how intercourse would feel,  although I'm guessing uncomfortable as I feel dry a lot of the time.

I'm wondering if I have some kind of atrophy going on,  although from what I've read it normally occurs several years after being post meno.

I'm thinking I should speak to my GP but to be honest I don't feel I get a lot from my surgery now and since Covid it's all but disappeared as everything seems to involve filling in a form or a telephone consultation.

Does anyone have any experience of this and does it sound like another one of those lovely symptoms of peri!

thank you

Joaniepat

Re: Advice please discomfort down below!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2021, 08:48:54 AM »

What you describe is vaginal atrophy (aka Genitourinary Syndrome of Menopause or GSM) which is caused by falling oestrogen levels and can occur at any time from perimenopause onwards. As it is due to lack of oestrogen you need to replace this with a local oestrogen treatment, preferably Vagifem for the inside and an estriol cream such as Ovestin for the labia. Or you can use Ovestin both inside and out. The condition is chronic so will progress without treatment, thus, treatment is for life. Your GP can prescribe over the phone if they are not doing face to face appointments.

There are many threads on VA on the forum, or have a look at Dr Louise Newson's website.

JP x

SaraC2773

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2021, 10:02:22 AM »

Thank you Joaniepat

I did think that's what it felt like and a few weeks ago I was very uncomfortable down there and thought I had a UTI but the dipstick was negative at the surgery for everything and the nurse I spoke to felt it was more related to irritation. I was only doubting it because the good old interenet said it occurs after post meno!

Now I've had this over the last couple of weeks I can definitely feel the soreness/stinging is around the entrance and just inside the vaginal area but to be honest it's like the sahara dessert at the moment so not surprised things are a bit sore!

I will give the GP a call when they reopen and hopefully they will prescribe something.  I'm guessing if the GP thought a few years ago my bleeding after intercourse was being caused by atrophy then there must have been signs but then that things were progressing that way.

Cassie

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2021, 10:24:33 AM »

I am going through the same thing since I cut back on my gel, itching, irritated, dry, also had a bit of colour on the paper when I wiped, its gone now but just dont feel comfortable and not helped by the fact that I am currently using Utrogestan up there which seems to irritate things even more  :'( my bladder feels a bit uncomfy as well, perhaps I need a dipstix as well  :-\

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2021, 11:27:50 AM »

I take two 'nurofen' 3 times a day for 3 days if I get the need2P feelings.  Relaxes the bladder spincter.

Appropriate localised treatment will ease symptoms. 

Tinkerbell

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2021, 07:52:12 PM »

You can get VA in the peri stage, i was only 47 and still 5 years from my last period when i started getting problems. Get some topical estrogen prescribed asap and don't stop using it.

Lyncola

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2021, 08:42:54 AM »

Virginal atrophy was my first menopausal symptom at aged 45 years old,4 months after a hysterectomy but still got my ovaries?

It’s a terrible thing to treat, two years that and I still get bad days, with no idea why? Just remember virginal atrophy is for life and you will need to treat for life.

SaraC2773

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2021, 09:14:20 AM »

Thank you for the replies.

Yesterday I had a tiny bit of pink discharge which quickly turned to a mucky brown and nothing since but everything was stinging when I was washing. Luckily I have a cream which I can use as a soap substitute so I swapped to that and it doesn't feel quite so sore.

I just worry,  any sight of pink discharge or blood I go down the cancer road!

I guess the fact that I didn't have a period for 11 months would suggest my estrogen is low and that has probably not helped.

I will definitely contact the GP next week and see if I can get an appointment.  I think I am going to ask if I can go in and be examined as I feel that whilst everything points in that direction I would be happier if I could be examined rather than them just do their usual prescriptions over the phone!

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2021, 11:42:27 AM »

It could be a hormone hit-cup.  Do get some appropriate VA treatment best to begin that sooner rather than later ;-)

Cazikins

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2021, 02:58:09 PM »

I will definitely contact the GP next week and see if I can get an appointment.  I think I am going to ask if I can go in and be examined as I feel that whilst everything points in that direction I would be happier if I could be examined rather than them just do their usual prescriptions over the phone!

You may have to have a telephone consultation first Sara, the G.P. should then give you a face to face appointment for an examination - well at least that's what happened to me. Good Luck & let us know how you get on.
Cazikins x

suzysunday

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2021, 07:43:16 PM »

Hi Sara, it's a really distressing condition and I found it really difficult to come to terms with.  I didn't know it existed until mine really hit a few years ago.  Mine was diagnosed at gynaecology a t hospital so yes it's good to have a proper examination.  I use ovestin local hey for a couple of years and managing well.  All the best to you and hope you get treatment that suits you x

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2021, 07:58:57 AM »

hicc-cup even  ::)