Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Add in Vagifem or extra patch?  (Read 903 times)

linz57

Add in Vagifem or extra patch?
« on: May 06, 2021, 07:44:58 AM »

I have used a conti patch successfully for over five years, but since having my COVID vaccine at the beginning of March I have noticed a gradual return of some of my symptoms. ( A number of women on online have also reported similar effects, along with premenopausal women experiencing disrupted menstruated cycles)
Recently my VA has started to rear it’s head again and I’m  wondering whether it’s safer  to add in Vagifem or to cut a patch in half and use that alongside the full patch.
I realise it’s trial and error,  but my main concern is about getting enough progestogen to balance the additional estradiol.
I found a part used container of   Estrogel in my wardrobe a couple of days ago  ( left over from an unsuccessful trial of that and Utrogestan) and decided to use some, it really helped . However, I can’t continue to use that as I wouldn’t be getting enough progestogen to balance things out. Has  anyone else tried using either of these additions successfully?

Tinkerbell

Re: Add in Vagifem or extra patch?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 10:49:41 AM »

I would add in some Vagifem, i use oth Estrogel and Vagifem.

linz57

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 11:14:54 AM »

Thanks for responding Tinkerbell. How much Vagifem do you use in a week ? Also what progesterone do you use? I’m thinking if someone has a Mirena coil that would provide sufficient to deal with any extra estrogen  used, but as I’m using a patch containing both estradiol  and  norethisterone I’m wondering if I might upset the balance.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 12:19:12 PM »

Vagifem doesn't require you to need progesterone so if you just use that you won't need anymore. I have a Mirena and use Vagifem every day but before starting Estrogel used Vagifem five times a week without any progesterone.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 12:20:25 PM »

Vagifem is local treatment not systemic so it won't upset the balance of your patch.

linz57

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 12:53:25 PM »

Thanks again Tinkerbell, I’ll try doing the 14 day load up and then see how it goes.

shrosphirelass

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 07:51:36 PM »

I was prescribed both patches and vagifem by the menopause clinic and advised that vagifem would be necessary for life.

linz57

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2021, 07:59:09 AM »

Thank you, I did take Vagifem on it’s own several years ago, but back  then it was only licensed to be used for 12 months  maximum. That’s how I ended up on a conti patch, my doctor refused me more Vagifem once the year was up and said the only alternative was systemic hrt. Thank goodness times  have changed.