Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Vulval itching all night disturbed sleep  (Read 1379 times)

Loo53

Vulval itching all night disturbed sleep
« on: May 03, 2021, 06:59:22 AM »

I’ve had this for a while now 16 years post menopause my groins itch my other bits itch I feel like tearing myself apart every night. it only kicks off at night in bed with the heat....oddly doesn’t itch so much if I wear underwear but I don’t because of the detergent I wash them in just to be sure. I do have lichen sclerosis but it’s not those parts that itch? Can lichen sclerosis travel? I’m so tired of this.  >:(

Taz2

Re: Vulval itching all night disturbed sleep
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 08:22:27 AM »

Are you on a topical HRT for vaginal atrophy? I'm not sure what treatment you are on for LS  :-\

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 08:28:34 AM »

Try wearing undies in the night?  If the detergent isn't a problem in the day, it isn't likely to be in the night.

Do U see a Consultant for LS, if so contact next week to ask if vaginal atrophy treatment is appropriate.  In the mean time, mayB check 'my bladder' and 'vaginal atrophy' threads on the Forum. Make notes  ;)

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 08:40:33 AM »

Some mattresses have a winter and a summer side  ::).  I've never noticed a difference .

Cazikins

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2021, 02:52:33 PM »

I believe that L.S. can travel to other areas. I have found this extract from this website https://www.sruk.co.uk/conditions/lichen-sclerosus/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMImp_JmeGt8AIVpejtCh28ugvlEAAYAiAAEgK2PvD_BwE

Lichen sclerosus also occasionally affects other areas of the body, including the upper arms, back, breasts and shoulders. It is most common in women who have been through the menopause.

Loo53

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 05:12:56 AM »

Are you on a topical HRT for vaginal atrophy? I'm not sure what treatment you are on for LS  :-\

Taz x
No Taz I gave up on that long ago because I hated putting it in with very vagina unfriendly applicators. I slapped some emollient cream on the other day and it seems to help a bit.

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2021, 06:46:40 AM »

Maybe you could try ovestin cream instead. I would think you need topical oestrogen to replenish the tissues but not sure about the LS. Hope you had an itch-free night  :)

Taz

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2021, 07:41:52 AM »

There are products that replace oestrogen in the vaginal area which eases symptoms.  Moistorirses [sp] may help but they won't get to the root cause.  As oestrogen levels drop so the body may become dry: inside and out.

R U able to explain 'unfriendly applicators'  :-\

racjen

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2021, 04:08:43 PM »

I have LS and it can certainly progress to other areas of the vulva, perineum and anus. I find that if I don't use Dermovate regularly the whole area can become sore and itchy. Are you on a topical steroid cream? If so have you tried using it more often, and if not, why not?

Loo53

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2021, 04:27:26 AM »

There are products that replace oestrogen in the vaginal area which eases symptoms.  Moistorirses [sp] may help but they won't get to the root cause.  As oestrogen levels drop so the body may become dry: inside and out.

R U able to explain 'unfriendly applicators'  :-\

The applicators to me seem straight hard and unfriendly plastic that if not inserted properly tend to scrape against the ridges on the walls of the vagina - well it does in my case anyway. I would cringe at the thought. I hated it more and more until I gave up in the end.  I don’t know why they don’t coat these things with silicone or something more shape friendly. They are just ugly and clinically cold.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2021, 08:03:05 AM »

I've never had problems with 'ovestin' applicators unless the atrophy is really bad.  They are not environmentally friendly though  :-\

Did U sleep?

Loo53

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2021, 03:50:02 PM »

I've never had problems with 'ovestin' applicators unless the atrophy is really bad.  They are not environmentally friendly though  :-\

Did U sleep?

So true never thought of that more plastics....

Slept only until 2:30 am then had to get up for work at 5 am urgh!

Taz2

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2021, 04:03:22 PM »

That's a pain but you had been asleep since 6.45 so had almost eight hours. It's just a case of shifting it forward a bit at a time - sounds easy I know - sorry wrong thread  ;D

5 a.m. is an early start  :(

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2021, 04:13:23 PM »

We see one 5.00 - and it ain't the early one  ;)