Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Swollen boobs and armpit pain  (Read 2001 times)

lizzog

Swollen boobs and armpit pain
« on: May 02, 2021, 08:15:21 AM »

I’m almost one year to the day with no periods - yay- after ten years of meno  :-\
Night sweats last night were horrendous and my boobs are swollen. I’m getting some pain in my armpits near the side of my boobs (new symptom for me) and feel generally knackered as I’m not sleeping.
I’m on Utrogestan and two pumps Estrogel a day.
I’m 55 now and at last medicine review the pharmacist suggested starting to try and reduce my Estrogel.
I’m pretty sick of the whole ***** thing to be honest - any words of wisdom ?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Swollen boobs and armpit pain
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 11:45:35 AM »

Don't reduce your HRT unless you have been to a menopause Clinic?  Why was the Pharmacist making that suggestion?

Could it be that the oestrogen has dropped a little = hormonal upheaval?

Do U keep a mood/food/symptom diary?

lizzog

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 12:35:15 PM »

I don’t know why she made that suggestion - I got the impression that it was due to my age. I definitely feel it’s a drop in oestrogen 🙄

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 12:54:27 PM »

Who is your prescribing person?  It's not up to a Pharmacist to make that decision.  Advice yes; they have to have a prescription from your medic..

If it ain't broke don't fix it?  Get that diary going so that you have something to discuss?

lizzog

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2021, 02:42:40 PM »

Yes I’m usually with the GP but they use a pharmacist for their med review who rang me up to discuss this over the phone.
I’m keeping a diary and will continue to monitor things!

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2021, 04:21:28 PM »

The Pharmacist rings me - I think since C-19 restrictions, it is quicker than getting patients into the Surgery?  However, if I have a query he goes back to my GP to ask. It's not up 2 the Pharmacist to change prescriptions.   He can make suggestions but I would want to know why?

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2021, 05:59:31 PM »

Some people get pain with too much oestrogen, I get it with progesterone. It's possible your body is having surge. I'd leave things alone for 2-3 weeks and see what happens, it will probably settle down again. The pharmacist may be working on the outdated NICE guidelines that said you should stop at 60. There's no age limit now unless you want to stop.

lizzog

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2021, 08:59:52 PM »

Yes that’s what she said about stopping at 60. I’m going to speak to the GP when I get chance

Loo53

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2021, 07:26:11 AM »

I’ve had tender boobs since post menopause one worse than the other. I got told that this was due to the decrease in estrogen. I still have a sore left boob from time to time yet I get regular mammograms. Only telling my experience any boob problem should be checked out.