Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Facebook  (Read 4841 times)

Jules

Re: Facebook
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2024, 11:32:06 PM »

Robin, once you've set up an account, you do get suggestions of "friends" based on who you've connected with. One way to reduce the risk is to not request or accept a friend, that way there's no connections, dont post anything, dont use your photo, you can also use a different name when setting up. I have a police officer friend who does that. I have very few people on my account,  I'm very careful. Just use it to access support groups.

Minusminnie

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2024, 12:41:35 AM »

Would advise not going too off beam with a fictitious name. I chose one that was deemed inappropriate and told not linked in any way to my email & I then found that I couldn't access Facebook anymore. That was a while ago so things may have changed.

Jules

« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2024, 10:11:16 AM »

I think it has to be a name but it's possible to change your own enough to not come up in searches. As for twitter, my account was hacked. It took me forever to get it closed down. I wouldn't touch it. As for Facebook,  the more connections and interaction you have,  the more you comment on oublic posts,  the more risk of being hacked. You have to be very savvy and not click or react on anything you think might be dodgy

kathryn22

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2024, 11:02:22 AM »

I’ve joined a couple of groups for support One for Atrophy and the other for Prolapse
You’ll find they’re private groups so you have to be approved by the moderators this means the world can’t see your posts only other members
Really useful information and knowledge from other members and good if your feeling down because you always get support from the other members (like on here) Happy to give you the names of the ones I’m on if it helps

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2024, 11:31:29 AM »

I apparently have an account  ;D - so all sorted now with a new password .......

I don't click 'accept' unless it's friends that I know.

Minusminnie

« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2024, 11:39:22 AM »

I’ve joined a couple of groups for support One for Atrophy and the other for Prolapse
You’ll find they’re private groups so you have to be approved by the moderators this means the world can’t see your posts only other members
Really useful information and knowledge from other members and good if your feeling down because you always get support from the other members (like on here) Happy to give you the names of the ones I’m on if it helps

Kathryn could you possibly give the name of the prolapse group please.  I may see if I can get back on Facebook as  I’ve found little else forum wise useful specifically for prolapse. Thanks if you can.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 11:41:10 AM by Minusminnie »

KaraShannon

« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2024, 12:52:44 PM »

Agree with all the advice so far but I am not keen on facebook or anywhere these days, nothing is private.  Even in a private group your friends and the public can see if your name is in the list and the group admins may end up approving someone you know into the group etc.  Some people will make up a false name to join that group.  Call me picky. 

For that reason I'm not going to any personal support groups on facebook. 

Also facebook seems to be full of people now that were never meant to have so much access to my life, I went on there originally for positive support groups and had them, but more and more people have joined (which is their right) and now my feed is all about wading through all this other stuff and people who haven't earned my trust, before I can find what I originally went on there for.

I've often wondered whether women here should find a chat room or something or something private that no one outside of it will see in a google search. 

I know that's not helpful though. 

OP good luck in navigating FB to get some value from it, it's not impossible.

CLKD

« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2024, 02:57:57 PM »

We have private areas for members on MM Forum KaraShannon and those private FB groups that I contribute to, no one else can see names etc..

KaraShannon

« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2024, 11:38:26 AM »

We have private areas for members on MM Forum KaraShannon and those private FB groups that I contribute to, no one else can see names etc..

thanks CLKD, there are private areas on here?  Do I need to navigate around the site a bit more and find?

Taz2

« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2024, 01:12:55 PM »

It's the section called Private Lives. Threads posted there can only be read by members rather than being open to the whole of the internet. I think it says it's for sexual problems but we also use it for things that are more personal such as relationship and family problems or mental health.

Ayesha

« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2024, 02:59:27 PM »

On some forums there are private areas where admins can discuss issues between themselves, I don't know whether this forum has one but it would be by invite only if there was.

As for FB, no it would be a minefield even on a private group to be completely private from any friends, its a platform that is far too intrusive for discussing  personal medical issues. I am in a private gardening group where I am happy to pass on some advice but that is as far as I will venture.

CLKD

« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2024, 04:54:47 PM »

Oh a gardening group  8).  Off to the gardening thread ;-)

Jules

« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2024, 08:46:17 AM »

Just aside, i worked in childrens social care and there used to be a video I think called lollipop, showing how criminals can find out about children from social media. It was so sinister. I still see parents posting their children's life on Facebook with no regard for their safety or privacy

Jules

« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2024, 09:00:57 AM »

It's called Take This Lollipop

CLKD

« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2024, 09:42:28 AM »

It amazes me when 'people you may know' pops up in the friends section, how many babies and tots have their 'photos posted! 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4