Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Bad fibroids  (Read 394 times)

MsUlysses

Bad fibroids
« on: May 18, 2024, 07:38:28 AM »

Hello all, after failure to retrieve my now well
 out of date merina coil my oestrogen only hrt went unchallenged by progesterone for about 9 months. Possibly as a result my fibroids have grown like topsy and after an ultrasound my GP has referred me to gynae for a possible hysterectomy. I don't have a lot of faith in the two GP available to me. One immediately assumed it was ovarian cancer despite a history of fibroids and the other is now suggesting the hysterectomy as the best line of treatment.

While I wait for the gynaecologist I wanted to ask for this from you all. I feel like I really want to have a period, that it would relieve my symptoms a bit, should I stop the progesterone only pill I'm on for a week to get a withdrawal bleed? Should I cut down my estrogen patch to reduce the amount of oestrogen to discourage further growth of the fibroids?

I'm really not keen on surgery but my body is really uncomfortable. Thank you for all help and advice.

I'm 50, been on patches for about 18th Months. The fibroids are described as multiple and the largest is 7.4cm. I get no bleeding at all and it feels like my uterus is in spasm.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2024, 07:49:54 AM by MsUlysses »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Bad fibroids
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2024, 08:17:16 AM »

OUCH!

The GP that insinuated 'ovarian cancer' - what tests did he/she suggest, i.e. a blood marker test ?  Did he/she refer you immediately for advice from a Gynae on an 'in case' basis.

This is your body and you don't have to undergo surgical intervention if you aren't ready, however, we can go to consultants to get advice so that we have that bit of knowledge available.  It may be worth your while discussing the embedded mirena coil - is it still there for example ....... will this be aggravating the fibroid?  I imagine a coil like a large bedspring  ::) but am sure that is probably quite small.

Fibroids I believe are 'fed' by oestrogen?  Hopefully some1 will be along about stopping the progesterone ........ if a lady were rushed into hospital for example unless it was known that you are using HRT, she would probably be without for a while ?

In the meantime, if you don't already, make a list of worries etc. to take to the appt.  Any idea how long the waiting list is for a gynae, would U be able to take a cancellation appt. ? 

MsUlysses

Re: Bad fibroids
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2024, 11:07:15 AM »

Thanks for the reply. Yes, she did do the CA125 test which was negative. She told me it would take 7-10 days for the results. I sweated blood for a week then finally called the surgery to see if there was any news, reception told me the results had come in 5 days earlier and no further action was required. The ultrasound was a follow-up and showed the coil still there and still in the correct place. It's just got no hormones left in it.

As for waiting lists, there's no real information. I've been waiting for an appointment for a removal under anesthetic since the last failed attempt to remove the coil back in February. GP says he will note in waiting on that referral in his latest referral.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2024, 11:11:32 AM by MsUlysses »