Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: existing antidpressants will hrt help?  (Read 2252 times)

karen3006

existing antidpressants will hrt help?
« on: April 30, 2021, 11:39:24 AM »

Hi, first time on here. I am already taking sertraline for depression and anxiety. I have been taking these for about 4 years and generally been good. Just recently (about 4 months) I have been having more good days than bad. I am definitely in the menopause and wondered if HRT would help with the low moods and anxiety even though I already take Ad's? Thanks  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: existing antidpressants will hrt help?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2021, 11:48:26 AM »

Morning.

Some ladies require HRT as well, I believe that certain types can ease anxiety and depression.  Some ADs can ease hot flushes.

MayB keep a mood/food/symptom diary to chart progress?   :welcomemm:  Browse round.  Make notes.

I've been on ADs since 1989, well B4 I went into perimenopause.  I also had a betablocka from 2001 and an anti-anxiety 'as necessary'. 

karen3006

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2021, 11:53:44 AM »

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly  : I’ve also been on beta blockers on and off. It’s just such trial and error all the time and wondering what drug is doing what   ??? I’ve been keeping a diary this last couple of weeks and I’ve definitely got worse. The doctor is ringing me next week to see how I’ve gone on and is recommending I use hrt

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2021, 11:57:29 AM »

If you are having good days, how much is the anxiety/depression impacting?

I never look forwards to more than half a day at a time  ::).  How is your diet overall as low blood sugar can trigger anxiety.

karen3006

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2021, 12:01:26 PM »

I do just try and carry on and go to work etc but it’s tough putting a brave face on it all the time. I cried this morning but still got ready and went to work.
My diet is pretty good and I’m trying to avoid sugar and caffeine as well

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2021, 12:04:08 PM »

Don't cut out all sugars.  The body requires a certain amount, 4 me it's in the form of chocolate: who would guess  ;D

I have a drawer full of fixed grins ;-).  Lock down was the best thing ever, my anxiety levels went below 0.   8).  I'm trying not to ease into 'normality' too quickly!

Make sure you have a good diet, plenty of protein, fresh fruits and veg. as well as treats.  My system becomes sluggish when I don't get enough greens through me.  DH cooks lots of veg stir fries with chopped chicken, curries etc., he batch cooks so we have a freezer of things to choose from. 

What caused the tears?

karen3006

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2021, 12:15:49 PM »

I won’t be cutting out all sugars, don’t worry  :D

My partner is so supportive, I just woke up feeling rubbish....again! That’s why I hoped hrt might help to level things out. It’s a blinking mine field

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2021, 12:37:16 PM »

The waking hormone, 'cortisol', used to cause me anxiety surges, anytime from 3.30 a.m.  :'(.  It would take until mid-morning B4 I began to feel well.  It's the physicality that floors me.

karen3006

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2021, 01:32:50 PM »

Yep, thats exactly how I feel! Thankfully its not as early as that! My chest is almost burning when I wake up and like you it can take sometimes all day to feel even a little better

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2021, 03:42:30 PM »

Propranolol helped those early morning surges.  40mg at night, then dropped to 20mg for years.  I stopped them 14 months ago.

sheila99

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2021, 06:07:34 PM »

Is it possible the anxiety and depression coincided with the start of peri? If it did then hrt might be a more appropriate treatment. My anxiety has completely gone with hrt though it did take 3 months. You might consider starting hrt then reduce the ads after 3 months and see how you are.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2021, 06:14:00 PM »

Good idea.

karen3006

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2021, 07:03:42 PM »

shelia99

The depression began initially when I went through an horrendous divorce so I knew it was circumstantial but I did get myself back to a good place and now I’m very happy with life so I know it’s nothing to do with my life etc. I’ve been told I’m in the menopause so I’m just assuming it that. I’ve been speaking to my doctor over the last month and she’s said it might be worth trying hrt, it’s so tricky trying to decide what’s wrong. Initially I just thought that the Ad’s I was on had stopped doing their job so I changed them about 6 weeks ago and felt better for about 2 weeks then it just came back and felt dreadful again. I’m just hoping that the hrt will help get me back to where I was (fingers crossed 🤞)

karen3006

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2021, 07:06:37 PM »

CLKD

Did you take the propranolol every day to help your anxiety?

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2021, 08:26:22 PM »

Yep.  Started off: 2001 : at 80mg 3 times a day for 3 weeks, then at night.  Then cut down to 40mg at night, then 20mg.  I began to get background headaches in the morning so stopped them and have been OK.

ADs can poop out, the brain gets used to the effect.  I've had several different pills over the years.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 11:24:30 AM by CLKD »
Pages: [1] 2 3