Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Cleaning the bath after emollient?  (Read 2610 times)

suzysunday

Re: Cleaning the bath after emollient?
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2021, 06:49:47 PM »

Just read back and I've mentioned the oat stuff twice, I should read my past posts! Yes, not so good to have a slippery bath if you live alone.  Why can you only have 8 inches of bath water.   Why are the things that used to be simple in life now fraught with difficulty! 

Postmeno3

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2021, 06:59:01 PM »

Agreed! It states 8" on the instructions. It's just all a bit much, really. I suppose it will be worth it if no soreness as with everything else!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2021, 07:59:11 PM »

At least it's in inches  ;D .......... it would be like me to be naked and have to rush next door to get a conversion from metres  :P

star35

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2021, 08:05:03 PM »

I'm with Sheila on the washing up liquid, found it done the job when my daughter had to bath in oil.

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2021, 08:14:06 AM »

Remind me: what's cleaning the bath actually like  ;) and as for the iron ....... haven't seen that for years  8)

Postmeno3

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2021, 09:57:11 AM »

Lightbulb moment! A brand called bio-D, quite expensive, but could water down if needs be.There's a washing-up liquid and a bathroom cleaner. I should have remembered as my retreat centre uses all these products and only these. It's just been so long since in-person retreats have been possible! Hope this helps anyone else with the same dilemma. Thanks for all your lovely concern and suggestions.

Aprilflower

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2021, 01:05:02 PM »

Barkeepers Friend.

It's my go to for anything tough.  Available in some supermarkets, and also Lakeland, in powder, spray and liquid.

Postmeno3

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2021, 06:42:24 PM »

Hi,
I've bumped this up again because I'm finding the Hydromol emollient is irritating. I notice on both the emollient and the Epimax ointment both say for external use only, but having a bath in the emollient surely must allow some inside? Even the ointment is difficult to ensure it stays external. I'm finding these methods quite distressing and not sure if I should continue with them as I'm worse than I was without them!!!!! Maybe these two things plus the introduction of vagifem has just been too much to throw at the situation. It makes it hard to tell what's helping? Sigh......

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2021, 08:51:52 PM »

'vagifem' and 'ovestin' are proven VA treatments.

If it's irritating it mayB too dry for your skin?

Postmeno3

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2021, 10:18:41 PM »

It seems that there can be sensitivity to certain ingredients in emollients. I'll talk to the pharmacist. I didn't get the option of "Ovestin", sadly. Thanks.

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2021, 08:34:58 AM »

U can request 'ovestin' ...........

We use 'Nivea' or 'vaseline' hand cream on our skin, DH has dry patches and the former works for him after his bath at night. 

Postmeno3

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2021, 09:03:36 AM »

Yes, I can't help but think something, like Ovestin, specifically designed for external intimate areas would have been a better bet. I'm quite anxious about both these items' impact internally, even accidentally as in when in the bath or applying very locally, when both state for external use only. Liquid paraffin, in two forms, making its way internally is not a happy thought! Do others use these without concern?

suzysunday

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2021, 09:57:12 AM »

I understand your concern.  Since menopause I avoid any bath additives, just use water.   Ask your gp for ovestin.

CLKD

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2021, 10:09:28 AM »

The vagina cleanses itself.  So anything that goes up, has to come down ;-).  As we age that cleansing ability may be impacted by dryness so an appropriate treatment is important. 

Postmeno3

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2021, 10:46:05 AM »

Maybe there's some absorption, though????Presumably that absorption is what causes irritation and sensitivity as the balance alters also with age and "environment"???? Just curious, but, yes, "appropriate" is the key word as I now have increased bladder sensitivity as well.
Pages: 1 [2] 3