Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Utovlan, Utrogestan and estrodiol  (Read 1546 times)

Liz72

• First Flush
Utovlan, Utrogestan and estrodiol
« on: April 29, 2021, 05:24:35 PM »

Hi, so after my appt the other week being told I can't have hrt and vagifem I had an appt today with a different doc, I asked to try oestrogen gel and have been given estrodiol but I've been given  utovlan which I assume is the progesterone part but I've tried to find some information on this and nothing is saying "hrt" would I be better to be having Utrogestan? Sorry for the long post. Oh and I was also given vagifem. 😊

Hurdity

Re: Utovlan, Utrogestan and estrodiol
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2021, 10:19:25 AM »

Hi there Liz

I've just looked up Utovlan and yes it is the progestogen part but it's norethisterone and a much higher dose than is normally in the tablet component of HRT and therefore higher than you need unless you have demonstrated problems eg endmoetriosis, fibroids (maybe for this?), or very heavy bleeding.

Strangely enough there is not a separate tablet preparation (of norethisterone) licensed for HRT which is why there is no info on the blurb but if you look at the menu you can see that some HRT tablets contain norethisterone usually at 0.5 mg or 1 mg. Some docs do prescribe it though.

You may well find therefore that you have sdie effects but on the other hand you may not but personally I wouldn't want to take high dose norethisterone regularly because it's a synthetic progestogen whereas utrogestan is bio-identical progesterone ie same as produced in our own bodies.

Never any need to apologise on here and anyway that is not a long post!!!....

Great re the vagifem

Let us know what you decide?

All the best

Hurdity x

Liz72

• First Flush
Re: Utovlan, Utrogestan and estrodiol
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2021, 01:10:43 PM »

Hi Hurdity,
Thank you for your reply. I rang the doctors to double check and was told this is definitely what I am supposed to be taking...  I'm  swapping from the everol conti 50 patch to estrogel and utovlan. I found the same info about utovlan being for heavy periods and considering I haven't had a period for 3 years this was my reason for questioning it. I suppose I can only try but I'm a bit nervous as it's such a high dose.
Liz x