Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: HRT or Bio identical HRT  (Read 1541 times)

Reboot

• First Flush
HRT or Bio identical HRT
« on: April 28, 2021, 10:40:36 AM »

First of all I am so grateful to find this page....
I am wondering if anyone can advise?
I am 49 and was 7 months clear of a period and experienced hot flushes day and night with some memory loss but thought I can handle this if this is the worst it gets...then BANG.....5 periods within 14 weeks. I'm totally exhausted with brain fog and very low mood.  I have not been to work for 3 months due to no energy or motivation and am desperate to heal and feel myself again.  I have been in touch with my GP who has offered Utrogestan and Evorel patches.  Then I had a friend who told me to pay for a blood test and consider bio identical treatment. My head is frazzled!!! The one thing that frightens me the most in all this is I do not want to feel any worse than I do already as I feel at rock bottom.  I know we are all different and have different toleration levels but I wondered if there is any advice someone could share with me.
Thank you from someone who use to be fun to have around!!!  I am determined to be that person again....

Iris67

Re: HRT or Bio identical HRT
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2021, 10:52:45 AM »

That phrase 'used to be fun' breaks my heart for anyone who feels like that (I certainly did/do). And the crushing symptoms....sending you loads of good vibes.

I have tried all forms of HRT and failed, but I am ready to go again with something (got osteoporosis). You have to be careful with the terminology...I have looked at:

1. Conventional (Premarin horses wee etc. - do they still prescribe that?)
2. 'Body-identical'
3. Compounded 'bio identical'.

All are available from conventional doctors but the last (3) has to be a private thing. I went to the Marion Gluck clinic - they're brilliant. They will prescribe oestrogen, progesterone and testosterone from the start if needed. Even DHEA which is the only thing that works for some. All transdermal if you wish - no tablets or vag approach for the progesterone if you don't want. Expensive - yes but I am happy to invest in my health (and I'm quite boring as I don't drink, smoke or whatever  ;D)

I tried Louise Newson's clinic also (body-identical) you can't see her in person any more but you can get one of her associates (all brilliant). They are less flexible and have a set of protocols. You can't get testosterone until your oestrogen has reached a certain level for example even if it would make you feel better.

The 'compounded' hormone treatment is argued over. It's a prescription personal to you. Many doctors think it's great others say 'there is no evidence'. When any doc says 'no evidence' it doesn't mean tested and found not to work, it just means 'we haven't done the trials we consider appropriate. Lots of controversy but you have to do what's best for you.

I could go on (no don't I hear you all say!) but you need to decide whatever you think is best. Good luck!

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 11:06:58 AM »

Your gp has offered a good option imo, I would take it. Most people would be OK on this, you probably will be too. Unless you have money to burn I would go with the nhs and save the private option for later if you find you need it. If you're offered compounded progesterone be very careful it comes from a reliable source. If you have standard medication it's been thoroughly tested and quality controlled. If you get compounded you have no such guarantee.
Protocols are usually there for a reason as they've stood the test of time and scrutiny. There is a medical reason for prescribing testosterone only when your oestrogen levels are stable as otherwise it gets converted.

Reboot

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2021, 02:22:09 PM »

I thank you whole heartedly for your advice and good vibes.

I think I will try the NHS route first and see how that goes.  Whilst on the option of Utrogestan and Evorel patches should I be asking for regular blood tests maybe every 3 months?

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2021, 03:05:54 PM »

It's unlikely you'll get testing on the nhs unless there's a problem. The advice to GPS is treat by symptoms. Blood tests are notoriously unreliable in peri because of the peaks and troughs from your own body.

Reboot

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2021, 08:39:45 AM »

Ok - I thought as much.  Well here goes...I start today!! 🤞😁

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2021, 10:18:43 AM »

Good luck!

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2021, 10:10:41 AM »

Your gp has offered a good option imo, I would take it. Most people would be OK on this, you probably will be too. Unless you have money to burn I would go with the nhs and save the private option for later if you find you need it. If you're offered compounded progesterone be very careful it comes from a reliable source. If you have standard medication it's been thoroughly tested and quality controlled. If you get compounded you have no such guarantee.
Protocols are usually there for a reason as they've stood the test of time and scrutiny. There is a medical reason for prescribing testosterone only when your oestrogen levels are stable as otherwise it gets converted.

Great post sheila 99

Good luck Reboot and  :welcomemm:

Hurdity x