Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Hi  (Read 1054 times)

Stripes

• First Flush
Hi
« on: April 28, 2021, 10:59:12 AM »

Hi my Dr told me to join this group as I mentioned during a fairly routine consultation that I had only had a few  (5 maybe?) periods in the last 5 years...I had been putting it down to stress...last one was August. Blood test reveal that I am very much postmenopausal...I'm 46. Some other bloods are a bit off too along with blood pressure seemingly all over the place... Dr said to familiarise myself with symptoms as thinks I have probably been wrongly attributing symptoms to other things...Something doesn't feel right to me. I haven't said this to my GP as obviously she is the best judge but I can help thinking it's all stopped through stress rather than menopause.. FSH was 58 though? so that's a bit about me and why I have joined. Thank you for having me 🙂

Iris67

Re: Hi
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2021, 11:34:08 AM »

Hi Stripes!  :welcomemm:

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 01:35:16 PM »

Hi Stripes. It must be a shock to discover you are menopausal earlier than you probably expected. Blood tests are an unreliable way to diagnose menopause but your doctor is right that an FSH of 58 does put you in this category. It could be a mixture of stress and menopause?

At your age it is considered advisable to use HRT at least up to the more usual age of menopause which is around 51. You would merely be replacing oestrogen which should have been yours naturally. Oestrogen has a protective effect on both heart and bones and before the usual menopause age any risks are far outweighed by the benefits.

Have a good browse around both our posts and the info contained in the menu at the top of the screen. Ask any questions and someone will try to help as much as possible.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2021, 03:04:42 PM »

:welcomemm:  blood tests are reliably unreliable  ::)

MayB keep a mood/food/symptom diary to chart progress.  Do read our various threads especially 'bladder issues' and 'vaginal atrophy'.  We have a funny room too  ;)

Has your GP suggested a uterine scan?  5 periods over 5 years ......... mine waxed and waned for 3/4 years with months without a bleed then kind of 'regular' - then stopped  :o  :D.

How do you feel overall?

Stripes

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2021, 08:54:52 PM »

Hi thank you for your replies. I will take on board what you said about HRT the Dr did mention it at the last appointment but I didn't realise I was having any symptoms so was hesitant . life has been pretty full on with a massive upheaval in my life about the time my periods pretty much stopped 5 years ago. Now it's still very hectic and I am aware i am definitely over doing it.... so I was just putting the vague stuff down to anxiety. It's all a bit long and  perhaps if it's relevant I can explain more but as it stands. How do I feel? somedays I really feel as though I will burn out. That's the worse thing at the moment but GP says other things are probably all relevant too. Thank you again for responding. I'm looking forward to having a look around the forum and reading others experiences
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 08:56:26 PM by Stripes »