Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Pain when having Cervical smear test  (Read 1331 times)

annieb

Pain when having Cervical smear test
« on: June 11, 2021, 11:35:24 AM »

I went for cervical smear test recently and it was so painful that the nurse could not insert the speculum far enough into my vagina to do the test.
Doctor has prescribed Ovestin cream to insert each evening for 3 or 4 weeks and then try again. It says I should insert the applicator deep in
I don't seem to be able to get it very far (maybe 2 " at most) without it hurting
I know this sounds a bit naive but I doing this wrong and  how far is deep ?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Pain when having Cervical smear test
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2021, 11:39:34 AM »

OUCH! at least your GP is on side.  If you are sore then insert on the finger for a few nights, as far up as is comfy.  Then use the applicator, again as far up as is comfy.  Once relaxed and less dry, the application can go in further.   I put some 'ovestin' on the labia too.  Let us know how you get on.

Dorothy

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 12:19:56 PM »

When I first started using Ovestin, I could only smear it round the outside with my finger tip.  As the pain decreased, I was able to go further in and now I can use the applicator pretty far up. 

I don't know who thought a rigid plastic applicator was a great idea for applying cream to an extremely sore and narrow passage in the body...I still have to smear some cream on the outside of it so it doesn't 'scrape' my insides!

annieb

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2021, 01:39:03 PM »

Thank you!  the nurse and my GP are very good and certainly extremely understanding .  Once, a long time ago, I had a smear test and could hardly walk afterwards . Yet last time I went (about 3 years ago (whatever the frequency is) it was so smooth and done within seconds so was a bit upset that it was impossible this time.
Heavens Dorothy I know what you mean about scraping  :o
The suggestions are extremely useful so I'll have a go  this evening.
Feel so much better just asking about this - thank-you again

Dorothy

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2021, 08:05:41 PM »

You have my sympathy - I've been through an agonising one that left me unable to sit lie walk or stand without pain for days after!!!

I'm sure you'll find the Ovestin will help.  If it's still sore after the 3-4 weeks, ring the GP and tell them rather than just turning up for another test - I've found that if I have too many painful exams, I then get very tense before the next one which of course makes pain even more likely.  If you're not able to insert the applicator fully without pain, you're not likely to be able to tolerate a swab being taken. 

Ninjabiscuit69

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2021, 09:24:32 AM »

I just wanted to say thank you for asking this! I'm going for a smear test today and am really worried about it as I'm sure it's going to hurt.
I did manage to get prescribed some Vagifem pessaries which I've been using for a couple of weeks so I'm really hoping they'll have made a difference.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2021, 11:01:26 AM »

Were you told to stop those for 2 nights prior to the smear?  Let us know how you get on!  You don't have to have it done you know ...... it's your body so you can postpone for 3-4 months.