Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Lutigest vs Utrogestan  (Read 4698 times)

kateJ

Lutigest vs Utrogestan
« on: April 26, 2021, 10:46:16 AM »

Hi all,

At my request, I have been changed to continuous hrt after years of cyclical.  ( 4 pumps estrogel, 200 mg pessary utrogestan 12 days a month) Even though I am progesterone intolerant ( very low moods mainly) I would like to try no bleed version as I am 57 and a bit fed up of the monthly palava - plus I assume that now my estrogen levels are up to a better level ( 260 ) my body can now cope with daily porgesterone.

The thing is, I am used to utrogestan and the nurse at C & W has changed me to Lutigest without any discussion and I have only just realised after opening the letter.

Does anyone else have any experience of Lutigest (100mg daily pessary) after utrogestan? I am feeling a little nervous about the change now.

Many thanks

Kate

zen

Re: Lutigest vs Utrogestan
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 08:01:31 PM »

Hi Kate

I have been using Lutigest since January and it seem to be the only type of progesterone I can tolerate.  All the other ones made me very depressed- i.e cyclogest,utrogestan and provera.  I use the 100mg pessary every second night but I have had a lot of bleeding on and off since I started it the regime.  I am due to get back to my menopause clinic as I was told if the bleeding doesn't settle down I might need to use it daily.  I am also on the 75 evorel patch and a little testosterone.  So far it seems to be helping although I might need to take more progesterone.

Hope that helps Kate and good luck!

Best wishes Liz

kateJ

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 08:39:54 PM »

Hi Liz,

Thank you for replying. That's good to know - and I ve been prescribed 100mg daily - so that might be because of bleeding issues with every other day?

i can't find anything on the internet re Lutigest and have now written to the menopause clinic to see if they can help.

Thanks again

Kate

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 12:03:44 PM »

I've never heard of it. Let us know how you get on? Maybe it will be an option for others who can't find one they can tolerate.

zen

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 05:46:45 PM »

Hi

Yes I think my menopause Dr was keen to keep the Lutigest to every other day because of my problems with progesterone in the past.  Last time I spoke to her she said to get back in touch in two months (about now) if I was still getting quite a lot of bleeding.  I do probably need more progesterone so I will contact her.

Good Luck Kate.

Best wishes

Liz

KarineT

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2021, 01:20:43 PM »

Can you get Lutigest on the NHS? I understand Utrogestan can cause mood problems.

zen

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2021, 06:51:36 PM »

Hi Kate

No unfortunately lutigest is not avialable on the NHS.  I asked my GP for it to save money but she said she couldn't prescribe it.

Liz

KarineT

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2021, 06:57:49 PM »

So you have to pay privately to get it? What if Utrogestan doesn't suit you and you can't afford to go privately?

zen

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2021, 06:09:16 PM »

Hi Kate

Yes I have to pay for it privately.  I know it does seem very unfair when not everyone can afford it. I wish there was an easy answer and everyone could get access to something that suits them.

Liz

kateJ

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2021, 07:21:20 PM »

Hi Zen,

I am getting my first prescription of Lutigest tomorrow on an NHS prescription.

As regards its effects as opposed to utrogestan, I will report back as soon as I have tried it.

Thanks

Kate

Perinowpost

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2021, 07:32:01 PM »

Interesting this may be a product for us prog intolerants. Does it affect your mood at all Zen? Good luck KateJ let us know how you get on x

zen

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2021, 08:07:28 PM »

Hi

I  am so pleased that you have got Lutigest on an NHS prescription Kate.  I'm in Scotland so maybe it's different up here.  I might ask again in case my gp got it wrong.  Good luck with it Kate. Fingers crossed for you. Do let us know how you get on.  Are you using it every night?

I think it's the only progesterone which doesn't affect my mood.  My mood can get pretty low though as I have ME/CFS and fibromyalgia and an underactive thyroid so get  low as I can't do much rather than a progesterone low which feels different-if you see what I mean!  Bit of a nightmare really....

zen x

Perinowpost

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2021, 08:52:56 PM »

I do know what you mean, I’m currently on the dreaded utrogestan now. It affects me from about days 4/5, until I’ve finished the course and it comes out of my system then I’m ok again.

Might look into Lutigest x

kateJ

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2021, 12:58:23 PM »

Huge apologies - I have posted this again as my last one was all in the quote box in error.

Hi Liz,

I am now about 3 weeks into taking Lutigest daily. My boobs are sore, I have had some breakthrough bleeding, which has now settled, thankfully, but I am also a little more 'tetchy' and moody than usual. I saw on another post from 2019 in which Hurdity said about Lutigest:

I am surprised at the dosage being the same as utrogestan though because in terms of luteal support the amount of utrogestan is double that of Lutigest and by the same token one might decide that half the amount of Lutigest might be needed to protect the endometrium than utrogestan ie 100 mg for 12 days per 28 day cycle and alternate day 100 mg for conti use. Wihtout trials I imagine they are erring on the sdie of caution or using anecdotal observations from having already prescirbed it to women as part of hRT.

My question is, seeing that I am now experiencing negative side affects, should I try alternate days as you have done?

And would it be possible to ask what your Menopause doctor said re your intermittant bleeding on this regime.

Thank you for any replies,.

Kate

zen

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2021, 07:27:29 PM »

Hi Kate

Sorry I just noticed your post.  My menopause Doctor has told me to now take it everyday day which I have done for a week.  My mood isn't that great (which is not unusal for me as my fibromyalgia has been really bad) and I am very tired but that might be the firbro and ME-the joys! With me it is very difficult to work out what is causing what so it's hard to advise.  I am wondering about trying 2 days out of 3.

I hope you find a resolution.

Liz x
Pages: [1] 2