Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan oral vs vaginal  (Read 4041 times)

Iwona

Utrogestan oral vs vaginal
« on: April 23, 2021, 12:09:09 PM »

Hello, I have been on Utrogestan 100mg for over 5 years now + sandrena gel. I have had a hood response and my menopausal symptoms are well controlled.

Unfortunatelly, I have a severe GERD and I read that utrogestan may make it worse.

Therefore decided to use it vaginally, just in the past two days.

In the past two days I have had a severe migraine type headache.

Is this related to a different absorption?
Am I getting the same amount of medication via vaginal route?

Unsure what to do, as my GERD has been so severe with oral route, but now my headache is just unbearable.

Thank you

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Utrogestan oral vs vaginal
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 01:55:52 PM »

Was it bearable B4 you swapped delivery?

Iwona

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2021, 02:09:47 PM »

Yes, no headache problems before. But digestive problems really severe, so thought by vaginal route I may avoid reflux problems

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2021, 04:33:58 PM »

Utrogestan when taken vaginally at the same dose as oral utrogestan allows more progesterone to get straight to the uterus where it is needed. When taken orally much is lost to digestion and metabolism through the liver but also produces many and higher concentrations of some metabolic by-products compared with vaginal intake. There are also studies (well I remember one) showing that actually more is also absorbed systemically when taken vaginally vs same dose taken orally.

The headache could be due to greater effects of the progesterone itself causing the headache, or alternatively maybe there is some sort of "withdrawal" effect as the metabolic by-products leave your body? If the latter then hopefully the headache will ease very soon as your body acclimatises.

Also some women do find an initial reaction to sudden increase in progesterone so this could also be the cause of your headache.

Either way I hope it has eased now?

Hurdity x

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2021, 09:41:53 PM »

According to newsonhealth you can halve the dose if you use it vaginally so every other day. You'll have to decide for yourself if you believe her (or arrange your own scan).