Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Memory Worries  (Read 2863 times)

Louise Jay

• First Flush
Memory Worries
« on: April 15, 2021, 01:07:18 PM »

Hello Everyone
I am fifty and perimenopausal. I have experienced heavy periods, weight gain and aching joints. However the worst thing is my concentration and memory. I have dyslexia so I dont know if that is making things worse as well. I have always had to write things down but now I have to make sure I do it immediately. If I have to do three tasks at once I will forget one. My spelling has got worse and I have started typing words the wrong way round or mis typing. I forget words or names that are familiar to me. There is just a complete blank. No one has said anything at work but I have started to doubt myself and double check my work all the time. I dont like driving any more there seems to be too much to think about. My confidence has been effected.
I am frighted.  A close family member was diagnosed with Early onset dementia in their early fifties. I think about it all the time and am becoming more and more anxious when I forget something. The only thing that reassures me a little as there is some improvement depending on the time of my cycle. Although I still have problems it is manageable some of the time. 
I am starting HRT I hope this helps as it will reduce my worries but I am scared it wont work. I would be interested in any advice or thoughts thank you

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Memory Worries
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 02:04:21 PM »

Yep.  Sounds within normal limits from where I'm sitting  ::) we have threads on 'doing stupid things' for example and look out That Strange Woman in my House ;-).

Hormones can cause lots of different issues.  Memory fuddle being 1.  I have always kept lists, years ago if I wrote the shopping list but left it on the kitchen table, I could remember what I needed to buy.  These days however, I can't even visualise what I've written down!

Browse round.  :welcomemm:  some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom dairy of use.  Ask away!

possum

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 02:07:39 AM »

I have been through similar myself and want to reassure you that this can be completely normal (unfortunately!). I think that if you have a brain that works a little bit differently to start with and especially if your working memory is on the low side (as with dyslexia, adhd etc) then this decline in functioning can be quite devastating. The role of oestrogen in brain function is under rated, but HRT really helps—also to improve sleep and get rid of aches. Good luck!

jaypo

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 07:04:45 AM »

Having this too,its strange you mention the spelling issue,although I don't have dyslexia but I've started to put double letters in the wrong place for instance I put in someone's card.....hope you fell better soon,instead of feel,so now I've to double check everything and forget about multitasking nowadays,my OH makes fun of me but at times I'm really worried about it  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 08:12:43 AM »

I have problems with my Passwords these days especially if I pause when typing them  :-\

This morning I had 2 tablets beside me: can't find them now but don't remember swallowing them ........ and if I find them down the sofa, I won't remember which day I didn't take them  ::)

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 03:47:55 PM »

Many of us have wondered if we're getting dementia when it's actually been caused by lack of oestrogen. Give the hrt 3 months and see how you are then. Having said that my brain still isn't the same as it used to be but probably 90% and so much better than before hrt. If you have insomnia too that seems to make it worse too.

Wrensong

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2021, 07:51:27 AM »

Hello Louise  :welcomemm:.  I agree with the other ladies & what you said here . . .

My spelling has got worse and I have started typing words the wrong way round or mis typing. I forget words or names that are familiar to me. There is just a complete blank.

is exactly what started happening to me in perimenopause in my mid-40s & tbh it really scared me too.  I didn't start HRT until a few years postmenopause & by then my memory was no better or worse than it had been when it started to scare me in peri a decade earlier, but in common with Sheila's experience, the HRT does subsequently seem to have improved it markedly.   Also agree that inadequate sleep doesn't help & nor does too much stress, both unfortunately often to some extent beyond our control at this stage of our lives.

I'm now late 50s & have had a couple of long stretches when I had to stop HRT & sure enough, during those times I noticed that the scary black holes in memory were back.  Same happens to some extent on the progesterone phase of my HRT.  Again in common with Shelia I'd say my memory at this age is not as good as it was 20 years ago, but those instances when it freaks me out are far fewer!  As for the typing . . . less said about that the better!

You'll find lots of support, empathy & understanding here.  Keep posting & please don't be afraid to ask anything - nothing is too trivial, nothing taboo & there will almost certainly always be someone who's had whatever it is we're worried about.  However bizarre it seems  :o!

Louise Jay

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2021, 07:55:16 AM »

Thank you for all the replies they were reassuring to read. I have been surprised about how unprepared I have been for the changes I have experienced. With periods and pregnancy I was told what to expect there was literature and classes.
 I thought menopause was some hot flushes then freedom from periods.
It does seem that things are changing now and this site has been really helpful. x

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2021, 08:16:18 PM »

Oh and don't forget that I have to tick the daily calendar when I open my bowels .....  :-\ or I forget.

bluebird68

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2021, 08:28:14 PM »

Like all the other ladies I have had a whole range of symptoms. I remember I couldn't remember which side indicator is on,  traffic light meanings, didn't register who my daughter was for a bout a minute, lost car in a regular car park. These happened a few years ago which terrified me. O still have moments were I forget names etc. Things are better than they were. Poor sleep quality adds to it all. If your concerned ask the gp or the HRT may help you feel more like you X