Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Need less sleep  (Read 982 times)

Lady di

• First Flush
Need less sleep
« on: April 15, 2021, 09:29:05 AM »

Hello, I’m new.

Taking HRT and I’m wondering if anyone finds they need less sleep at this stage in life (I’m 48).

I know lots of people have terrible sleep - I’m sorry 😐 but I wake up after 5 or 6 hours feeling refreshed. I stay in bed and go back to sleep, then wake up feeling groggy which is my usual morning state.

I have a vague memory of the women in the office I used to work in when I was in my twenties commenting that you need less sleep as you ‘get older’ or have ‘the change’.

(The reason I don’t get up is because of bipolar and the concern about becoming manic. So is it a menopause thing, I wonder, or a bipolar thing which I’ve never had before)

Just looking to hear from other people’s experiences. Thanks.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Need less sleep
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 12:01:17 PM »

Hi!  Is the bipolar controlled?

We generally need less sleep as we age.  Probably due to how differently our sleep patterns become.  4 me waking in the night is a) a trip to the bathroom/back, b) busy dreams which wake me, c) not getting to sleep until the early hours due to brain racing  :-\ : when I sleep in the day it's refreshing sleep as I don't dream in the same way ::)

I know my paternal Gran was up at 5.30 a.m., housework done so that she could play with us or cook.  Into bed around 10.00 and never seemed to be tired.

Lady di

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 09:02:38 AM »

Thanks for your reply.  I couldn't work out how to type in a response.

The bipolar is under control, but lack of sleep is a trigger - living life on around 5 hours sleep or less can lead to mania - which sounds nicer than it is. 

Last night I went to bed at 1am and woke up at 7.10 - so that's around 6 hours.  6 hours is ok.  I just wondered if needing less sleep was a thing for many people in the menopause - looks like it's not.

Thanks

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 12:49:58 PM »

I'm not sure about meno on particular but as CLKD says we are supposed to need less sleep as we get older. Can't say I've noticed it myself, if I don't get enough sleep I'm half dead all day. I feel exactly the same as you do if I wake up too early then go back to sleep. 1.30am is an early night at the moment (we're lambing and I do the late shift). Waking at 8 is fine, get woken up at 7 and I'm a nightmare snarling at everyone all day.