Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Flooding advice  (Read 2288 times)

shrosphirelass

Flooding advice
« on: April 21, 2021, 10:35:39 AM »

I am 59 and have been on HRT for nearly 3 years and changed to evorel conti last Februaury. I have had issues with bleeding ever since, mainly spotting. I had been lightly bleeding for 19 days and yesterday started flooding, soaked through with large clots. It settled in the afternoon but the same thing is happening this morning. It feels like I'm going to bleed to death! Anyway my question is I have some mefanic acid (which was prescribed last year when I had a similar incident) should I take it, or should I just let it happen and hopefully clear myself out? Fortunately I have a scan at the beginning of May.

jaypo

Re: Flooding advice
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 10:58:55 AM »

Hi there,have you had a scan at all? I had huge clots and flooding which was down to fibroids,be careful you don't become anaemic,I had to go onto ferrous sulphate as I was becoming so breathless which was down to anaemia.

shrosphirelass

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 11:36:29 AM »

HI Jaypo, I have had several scans because of the spotting. They showed a 5mm lining and a fibroid which they weren't concerned with. I have been feeling dizzy which is often an indicator of anemia for me but that was before this episode. I had a blood test yesterday coincidently, but my levels will go down after this I would guess. Tbh I'm feeling pretty scared everytime I stand up I flood again.

jaypo

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 06:37:32 PM »

Oh you poor thing, I feel for you,this was me before my hysterectomy,my fibroid caused all the flooding and clots,it was truly horrendous,was scared to go outside,once flooded getting out of my car,had to drive all the way home again to get changed. Would you considered a hysterectomy? Was the best thing I ever did,ovaries were left though

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 07:33:16 PM »

Poor you. I sympathise!

Although passing clots feels scary it is a good thing, according to my doctor, as it shows your clotting mechanism is working. Can you tolerate ibuprofen? It can slow bleeding according to my GP and did seem to work for me.

Taz x  :hug:

Lyncola

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 08:17:03 AM »

I agree with jaypo, I had a hysterectomy ovaries left in due to heavy bleeding, endometriosis, fibroids. My uterus weighed three times it should when they removed it, because it was so full off crap.
I use to have clots come out the size of a egg, I would have to run for the toilet.

Being a woman really sucks :'(

shrosphirelass

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2021, 12:37:19 PM »

Do any of you know whether it is a good idea to take mefenanic acid to stop the bleeding or is it best to put up with it until my system is cleares out (if it ever is!) Today is day 3, mornings are dreadful. Every time I stand up I flood and have to dash to the toilet when large clots come out. It seems to settle in the afternoon. Ive just ordered the iron I preiviously had on prescription as I am feeling very dizzy and tired. Thanks all for your support

Gnatty

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2021, 02:41:02 PM »

I think you should check with your GP. I was taking tranexamic acid for heavy periods and then scared myself as I read online that it shouldn't be taken with HRT. So to be on the safe side just double check. x

jaypo

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2021, 06:35:07 PM »

If you're having large clots, I don't think mefenamic acid will help all that much tbh