Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Vaginal dryness  (Read 1256 times)

Geordieclaire73

Vaginal dryness
« on: April 21, 2021, 07:14:37 AM »

I'm now over two years without a period so post menopause...I'm on nothing due to having fibroids and family history of blood clots..I'm suffering terrible from vaginal dryness to the point now I can't have sex 😩. Tried first time in ages last night and had to stop .burning chaffing feeling..I take yes VM but I've not been onit every day.  Now I will..I'm definitely a bit wetter...sorry graphic I know..but worst pain was external and just at the entrance.  This morning skin split so I've put yes VM on outside for the first time...very scared trying vagifem / ovestin. Which I've been prescribed.do they help? R they safe

Joaniepat

Re: Vaginal dryness
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 08:03:43 AM »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Vagifem and Ovestin are perfectly safe and widely prescribed. They contain extremely low doses of oestrogen, which are not absorbed systematically. Good resources are Jane Lewis's book "Me and my Menopausal Vagina" (Amazon) and the private Vaginal Atrophy Facebook support group.  Information about local oestrogen treatment can also be found on Dr Louise Newson's website.

VA is chronic so will worsen if left untreated, and treatment is for life. It may take a few weeks before you start to feel better. Good luck!

JP x

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 08:07:39 AM »

I agree with joaniepat,don't worry about vagifem,I'm not on hrt either but DO use vagifem,I've just increased the dose to 5 times a week as I have the same issues as you,it definitely helps, I also use ph balance pessaries 3 times a week which you can get from Boots

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 08:23:39 AM »

It never crossed my mind not to use what my GP had prescribed: 4 me it was like razor blades  :o up there.  I couldn't have gone on with those symptoms.  Use some 'vagifem' now and again this evening, gently into the opening of the vagina.  Use 'ovestin' if you have it around the labia .... when comfortable put the 'vagifem' in further every night.  Let us know how you get on.