Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: D mannose  (Read 1153 times)

Julia99

• First Flush
D mannose
« on: April 19, 2021, 10:18:02 AM »

Just had chat with gynaecology nurse who mentioned D mannose as I’ve been having problems with needing to wee all the time.
I’ve been prescribed vagifem and an estrogen cream to use externally.
Did start the vagifem but stopped it due to other issues after 2 weeks so she’s recommended doing the reloading again and to use the cream externally as I’ve been sore and itchy and stinging after seeing 🙄
Does anyone have experience of D mannose?

Eviepf

Re: D mannose
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 10:57:20 AM »

Hi there

I use D Mannose every day on a 'preventative' basis against chronic urinary tract infection, but am not sure if it really helps - just want to do everything which might help!

Opinion is divided on how useful (or not) it is, but it seems that it can be very effective in acute UTI, *if* the infection is caused by E.Coli (most UTI's are, but not all). I know someone who used to get regular UTIs, for which she'd get prescribed antibiotics, which in turn always led to thrush. D Mannose worked wonders for her, by getting rid of the UTI without antibiotics, hence avoiding the thrush, and she's sworn by it ever since.

It won't hurt you, so definitely worth a try. My personal preference is for the powdered version which is easy to stir into water or other suitable drinks, rather than the tablets, although the tablets are definitely easier if you're out and about.

I do hope the vagifem and estrogen cream will help you in the longer term. Bear in mind that it can take a while for vagifem to start working and a lot of women need to use it more than twice a week. Taking bicarbonate of soda (a small teaspoonful well dissolved in a large glass of water) can be a good short term way of decreasing both the urge to wee and the stinging, by making the urine less acidic, but shouldn't be used if you have certain medical conditions (incoluding e.g high blood pressure or kidney/liver disease) so you should check for any contraindications before taking it.

Good luck! I know how horrible these symptoms are.

Julia99

• First Flush
Re: D mannose
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 11:36:01 AM »

Thank you. Fingers crossed